Ruby on Rails Engineer / Web Developer / Software Engineer
- Full Time
Job Title: Ruby on Rails Engineer
Location: Home based with occasional paid travel
Salary: £20,000 to £30,000
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The Company provides systems to schools, colleges and multi-academy trusts to help keep children safe - the work they do really makes a difference. They are a remote UK-based team and are looking for multiple Ruby on Rails Engineers to join them.
The Company is first and foremost looking for developers who can demonstrate strong engineering principles, and whether you've been developing for one year or five they may have a role for you. They can offer you the technical challenges, high standards and opportunity to make a difference to their products. They have an exciting roadmap ahead and you can be part of that journey as they transition from a startup to a global product offering. The team is growing in a way that will allow you to play to your strengths: enjoy maintenance and optimisation, data analysis, or building huge new features? There'll be a fit for you.
Their platform is built exclusively in Ruby on Rails, and they're working towards continuous delivery - the Company currently deploy something every day of the week. They do the majority of their work and daily communication through Slack, with regular conference calls, screen shares, and opportunities for pair programming. They run two-weekly sprints in a kanban fashion, but don't get bogged down in the process. their roadmap and in-flight boards are managed with Trello, and code is peer reviewed regularly through Github. The Company is running above 90% code coverage, with a test suite written in RSpec and continuous integration to run these tests and code quality metrics.
They believe in creating careers, not jobs. During your time with them you'll receive regular, honest, helpful feedback. They'll be looking for ways to grow your expertise, and they will provide opportunities for your professional development. Although they're a remote team, they speak every day, and arrange regular meetings both by department and as a company.
- Experience and skills developing web applications with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with MySQL/MariaDB or another relational database
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and jQuery
- Experience with using Git or Subversion
- An interest in test-driven development
- Enthusiasm for understanding technical ideas and explaining them clearly to other members of the team
- An appreciation of when things "look right": we don't expect you to be a designer (we have designers for that!) but we like attention to detail
- A willingness to provide technical support to the team, and occasionally customers
- Comfortable using macOS as your day-to-day operating system, or happy to learn
- A strong standard of spoken and written English
- An interest in the context and use of your work across education and safeguarding
Other things that might be useful:
- Experience in writing specs with RSpec
- Experience working with and on Linux/Unix operating systems
- Experience in server automation using Terraform or Puppet
- Experience with data analysis, using R or a similar tool
- Experience working remotely and in an agile environment
- Work remotely, with travel covered for training days and team building
- Essential hardware provided, including a laptop and VOIP phone
- Full training, including safeguarding, health and safety and information security
- Staff Employee Assistance Program
- 28 days' holiday pro-rata, including bank holidays
- Regular wage and benefits reviews
- (Negotiable) reduced hours outside term time
Please click on the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Please, no recruiters or firms offering subcontracting.
Apply for Ruby on Rails Engineer / Web Developer / Software Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly