Experienced Debt Advice Caseworker
5 days left
- Full Time
Job Purpose: To provide a quality assured money advice casework service at CALS main office and at outreach venues when required. Work towards meeting targets and contributing to the continuing improvement and development of services provided by CALS whilst working as part of the advice team.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and maintain an active caseload, providing a comprehensive debt advice, advocacy and casework service to clients on all matters relating to debt and ensuring accurate time recording for direct casework.
- Advise debt clients on entitlements to social security benefits, in order to maximise their income, and to assist clients to make applications for charitable funds where appropriate
- Receive supervision from the Advice Services Manager as determined
- Make referrals either internally to other caseworkers, or externally to other agencies, where clients require advice in other areas of social welfare law and to comply with CALS referral procedures
- Maintain computer records and case files to the standard set by the Legal Services Commission and the Specialist Quality Mark in the debt category of law, in accordance with CALS case management procedures
- Comply with all monitoring requirements of CALS recording statistical information, accurately and regularly, using manual and computerised systems
- Attend and contribute to both internal and external meetings, training events, conferences etc. as required.
- Attend relevant training to ensure professional development of existing skills and knowledge,
- Keep up to date with relevant legislation and case law in the debt category and to communicate this knowledge to less experienced advisors
- Maintain a knowledge of the welfare benefits system, by attending training and using reference materials and journals
- Contributing to the development of services and social policy work, which may include the production of publicity materials
- Developing and maintaining a working relationship with local organisations in both the statutory and voluntary sector.
- Participation in rotas for other services provided by CALS along with other staff and assisting, sometimes at short notice, with cover for other staff to ensure the smooth and effective running of services
- Contribute to the overall aims of CALS and EMMA by attending staff meetings, and any other meetings as required
- Provide cover and carry out other tasks within CALS that may be deemed necessary to meet all of CALS service delivery requirements.
- Undertaking some out of hours work as and when required, but with notice from the Advice Services Manager/Executive Director.
- To attend and contribute to performance appraisals, at a frequency to be determined by the casework manager.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To ensure that all duties and responsibilities are discharged in accordance with CALS Health and Safety at Work and other work related policies
- The post holder will comply with the CALS equal opportunities policy and assist with its development and promotion within CALS, and amongst partner organisations
- The post holder will be expected to undertake additional duties and responsibilities that are commensurate with the grade of the post that may arise from time to time, as directed by the Advice Services Manager or Executive Director of CALS
QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE
- At least 1 years recent experience of Debt advice work with the minimum of direct supervision.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of the debt advice process and the powers of priority and non- priority creditors in the enforcement of debt.
- Experience of advising clients on Bankruptcy and Debt Relief Orders
- Status as an approved Debt Relief Order Intermediary or sufficient experience to be able to apply for approved status
- Ability to assimilate and understand large amounts of information and to identify urgent and important issues
- Experience of maximising client’s income- including identifying benefit entitlements, providing budgeting advice and preparing grant applications.
- Working knowledge of MS applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience of advice at a basic level on welfare benefits entitlements
- Experience of working as part of a team and also working on your own without direct supervision
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to make and maintain excellent working relationships with a variety of individuals at all levels, personable and approachable
- Energetic, well organised and able to work without close supervision, self-motivated and confident
- Ability to manage own workload and work under pressure to meet changing priorities
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- Commitment to equal opportunities
- Flexible and reliable, a good team worker
- proven time management skills - able to work to timescales accurately and efficiently
Apply for Experienced Debt Advice Caseworker
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly