HEALTH AND SAFETY ADVISOR
HEALTH AND SAFETY ADVISOR– MANUFACTURING & PRODUCTION PLANT
“Fantastic career development opportunity health and safety specialist with best in class experience of manufacturing, engineering and logistics”
Location: East Lothian, Scotland
Commutable from Edinburgh, Berwick upon Tweed, Dunbar, North Berwick, Haddington, East Linton, Musselbergh, South Queensferry, Livingston, Dalkeith, Bonnyrigg, Bathgate, Glasgow.
Salary: Up to £36,000 + Bonus & Benefits
Our client is a market leader in the heavy industrial manufacturing sector, and part of a FTSE 100 quoted international group.
They require a Health and Safety Advisor for their East Lothian plant.
The operation is involved in heavy industrial processing and manufacturing. Our client requires a Site Health & Safety Advisor who has a good understanding of manufacturing, engineering and road transport/logistics. The role will support the site leadership team in their management of safety and health, as well as the development of an effective Health and Safety culture through coaching and influencing of line management ensuring compliance with corporate and site management health and safety and other systems.
You will promote a high quality and consistent approach to health and safety amongst employees, contractors and hauliers through coaching, briefings, training, raising awareness, challenging, identifying themes and establishing strategies and leading by example. You will be responsible for providing specialist and expert advice on both safety and health issues, helping the business to manage the H&S management system, maintaining ISO18001 certification and supporting line management with high potential and serious incident investigations.
- Provide safety leadership and support to the site management team across manufacturing, engineering and transport/logistics in facilitating and identifying health & safety improvement initiatives and increasing awareness of company health and safety policies and procedures.
- Be a source of safety expertise and advisor for the site manufacturing, engineering and logistics management teams. Identify and share good practices across other plants and logistics depots and with colleagues nationally.
- Liaison with the HSE and other external bodies in support of line management. Monitor and assist line managers with compliance against specialist areas provided by external providers e.g. Statutory Inspections, Asbestos/DESEAR/Legionella assessments etc.
- Act as health & safety representative as part of the company national working group. Brief supervisors and managers as appropriate, on health & safety issues, incidents, good practice and toolbox talks.
- Support site to ensure risks are identified and robust management controls implemented in line with company policy, standards and procedures
- Provide guidance on safety & health training and development needs. Assist in preparation and delivery of appropriate H&S training, including familiarisation training with the Health and Safety Management System
- Ensure statutory notices are displayed, incidents are investigated by the responsible line manager and that all H&S communications and other company guidance are communicated and maintained on notice boards by responsible persons
- Participate in the company’s behavioural safety programme by completing face to face interactions in line with business requirements.
- Evaluate the suitability of new plant and equipment and approve safe procedures for their use that ensures compliance with current legislation and the company H&S management system.
- Ensure that site documentation is maintained, controlled and records maintained to ensure ongoing compliance with the requirements of OHSAS 18001. Ensure all statutory (e.g. RIDDOR) and internal health and safety reports are completed and submitted on time
- Complete H&S management system audits: reporting of non-conformance and assist in identifying appropriate corrective and preventive measures and their effective close out by the responsible person.
- Support incident investigation ensuring all incidents are appropriately reported, investigated with the immediate and underlying causes identified, communicated and corrective actions completed by line managers.
- Assist Line Management to complete adequate investigation and formulation of defence for potential insurance claims and provide information as required to Company Insurance Team and legal team/representatives.
- Monitor site compliance with any internal Audit/inspection schedules
- Assist in preparing resource to enable line managers to communicate good practice identified on site, learns from incident investigations and other topics identified by the line for communication.
The Ideal Candidate
- A level/HNC/Graduate calibre with NEBOSH Certificate and working towards Chartered Status of IOSH
- Currently working within a heavy industrial, manufacturing, engineering and logistics, environment with a proactive and “best in class” health and safety culture and record where the emphasis is on supporting and promoting line management accountability for health and safety.
- Experience of road transport/logistics health and safety including loading/unloading/load restraint would be particularly advantageous. Any rail or port/marine experience would be useful.
- Strong assertive, confident, resilient and influential personality; capable of operating self-sufficiently in a field based role and able to establish excellent working partnerships with your regional depot management teams. A team player.
- Proven leadership, coaching, training, communication and presentation skills
- A proven knowledge of relevant legislation and an understanding of OSHAS 18001:2007
- Good IT skills including Word, Excel and Power Point
- Experience of management system auditing (preferably to Lead Auditor standard)
- Determination to work with others and drive to achieve results. Responsive to needs of works staff, with good interpersonal skills
- Experience of dealing with regulatory bodies.
- High risk awareness with experience of delivering successful improvement plans.
- Excellent investigatory skills including strong competency in Root Course Analysis with ability to identify top area of high risk and to deliver improvement plans accordingly.
- Strong attention to detail. Excellent time management skills in order to operate within strict deadlines.
- Diplomatic, measured, discreet, tactful and professional at all times. A facilitator of change with demonstrable initiative and drive.
- A challenging, realistic and practical approach to the setting of objectives and targets.
Apply for HEALTH AND SAFETY ADVISOR
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly