Do you want to work in one of the country's most vibrant newsrooms covering the best city in the world? The Manchester Evening News is already the largest regional website in the country with a huge audience - but we want to get even bigger.
As a News Editor/ Content Publisher you will be part of the team which manages, edits and publishes news and other content on our website. This is a senior role on the newsdesk responsible - as part of a team - for managing reporters and photographers and running the Manchester Evening News website.
Our aim is to produce the very highest standard of content that informs, interests and engages our audience.
Who are we?
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 540 million newspapers, and our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, viewed by 110m unique browsers every month
- Commission, manage, edit, produce, publish and share the highest standard of content as part of a team
- Put the audience at the front of the creation of every piece of content
- Motivate and inspire the writers to produce content the audience wants to read
- Ensure digital targets are reached
Provide a superb news and entertainment service to the people of Greater Manchester
- Understand the Manchester Evening News brand
- Maintain editorial, ethical and legal standards across digital platforms
- Support the continued growth of the Manchester newsroom
- Steer journalists in how to build contacts, and tell stories in the most effective way
- Ensure feedback is given to writers based on analytics
- Produce and publish content using images, video, audio, blogs and other digital storytelling tools
- Be part of the team which manages the brand social channels ensuring they have an engaging and consistent voice. Be able to spot content opportunities through social.
- Be part of the team looking after content dissemination away from social including newsletters and push notifications
- Be part of the team which manages the home page and app and maintains the site including monitoring site and social comments
- Use audience data, insights and analytics to help inform content decisions and planning
- Ensure all content meets editorial, ethical, legal and IPSO standards and brand values
The Ideal Candidate
The content publishers are senior positions in the newsroom. These are roles for experienced journalists able to demonstrate strong content management skills and digital publishing knowledge as well as some experience of or potential for managing, leading and inspiring teams.
- A Reach plc or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience)
- Experience of content management
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop content teams
- Understanding of editorial strategy and brand values
- Strong storytelling skills
- Good digital publishing skills - or a willingness to learn
- An understanding of social media both in terms of finding content and sharing it
- An understanding of how to use analytics to inform content commissioning and production - or a willingness to learn
- First-class organisational skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Adaptable, flexible, creative and full of flair
- A positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure
- Good judgement
- Energy, drive, determination and self-motivation
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
In addition to competitive salaries, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc offer a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets & parking loans and an employee assistance programme.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application