Associate, Business Law Group
Functional Area: BUSINESS LAW GROUP
Reports to (Directly/Indirectly): Rob Brant, Managing Partner
Direct Reports: N/a
Location: London, UK
Overtime Eligibility: No
Annual Salary: £80,000 - £100,000 per year, depending on experience
McCarthy Tétrault is a Canadian law firm that offers a full range of legal and business solutions to clients in Canada and around the world. The Firm delivers integrated business, litigation, tax, real property, and labour and employment solutions through its offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montréal, Québec City, New York and London.
The Firm’s Business Law Group in London possesses significant experience in all facets of corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, including handling complex domestic and international transactions for a range of oil and gas, mining and other companies, as well as regulatory matters, major projects, development and project finance.
The Associate will be required to work as a qualified lawyer (foreign and/or UK qualified) to assist, as part of a team, the Partners to further develop and grow the successful Business Group practice in London and across the global network.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advising clients on various sectors including oil, gas, mining and tech on corporate finance matters; complex capital market transactions in the UK and Canada; M&A public and private securitisation transactions; bonds and in particular Canadian bonds into the UK.
- Reviewing complex Corporate Finance; Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A); and Canadian and UK Capital Market matters.
- Preparing, drafting and negotiating legal documentation; including coordinating the timely distribution of documents as appropriate.
- Providing extensive legal experience in advising and consulting with clients on highly complex, large scale, multi-jurisdictional financing transactions, particularly in Canada and the UK.
- Undertaking research and conveying results of legal analysis to clients or updating team regarding complex legal policies and procedures.
- Dealing with cross-border legal issues and instructing counsel as appropriate.
- Developing and maintaining strong profitable relationships with existing corporate oil & gas and mining clients and other corporate groups, leveraging your own network and existing clients of the Firm.
- Representing the Firm as an Associate in the Business Law Group to build close working relationships with clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE
Required academic and legal professional certificates. In addition to education, required work experience, includes:
- Significant experience, and knowledge, of large-scale, complex, international capital markets transactions, including in Canada and the UK.
- Experience of working closely with oil and gas and mining industries as well as banks and other businesses within the financial services industries located around the globe.
- Relevant substantial experience, acquired within a legal environment, working on cross-border legal issues in multiple jurisdictions.
- Experience with public and private M&As and acting as issuer’s counsel in public and private securitisation transactions, with particular experience of acting for issuers of Canadian covered bonds in the UK.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to form close working relationships with clients.
- Between 2 to 4 years’ qualification as a lawyer, with a preferred licence to practice UK law or a licence to practice law in another jurisdiction with a Common Law legal system and intention to convert this qualification to practice in the UK.
- Outstanding academics gained from a leading University preferably with corporate and/or finance related modules completed with training received at a leading national or international law firm.
Required experience with computer or other technological equipment, including experience with specific legal software. Also, required knowledge/experience in specific practice areas or work processes/protocols within the legal industry.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent spelling, grammar and proof-reading skills.
- Aptitude and interest in preparing documentation to an exceptionally high standard in compliance with house-style requirements.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team as required.
- Capability to ensure follow-up on tasks, without prompting (autonomously)
- Responsible approach to your duties and the ability to take the initiative.
- Capacity to uphold confidentiality.
- Ability to speak another European language at business level is desirable. Ability to speak French at business level is particularly desirable, to facilitate communication with the Firm’s French-speaking Canadian clients.
All candidates should apply with a covering letter with their CV to ADILGER@mccarthy.ca with the subject line ‘Application for Associate Business Law Group position’.
Closing date for applications: 5 October 2018
Posting date: 7 September 2018
Apply for Associate, Business Law Group
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly