Maintenance Assistant / Facilities Assistant
Job Title: Maintenance Assistant
Location: West Sussex
Salary: £17,740 per annum pro-rata
Job type: Full Time, Fixed Term Contract (end date 21/12/2018) - Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm
The School is a delightful independent standalone prep school of 430 boys and girls aged 2 ½ to 13 set in 260 acres of beautiful Sussex countryside. The tremendous grounds include a Forest School and a School Farm. The school has a proud record of feeding many of the top day and boarding schools in the South East, with a large proportion of leaving students achieving scholarships and awards.
They are now seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and professional Maintenance Assistant.
Main Purpose of role:
To maintain the educational facilities of the school in a good general state of repair. Ensuring that grounds and premises are clean, safe and welcoming. This includes a wide range of duties connected with the fabric and grounds of the school.
- To include basic carpentry, plumbing, minor electrical works and redecoration
- Maintenance of the school grounds
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of all educational areas
- Take deliveries of post, stores, materials and other goods as required
- Setting up rooms for meetings, chapels, assemblies, events as required;
- Maintain a regular check and control of litter around the school
- Carry our minor works in order to improve the site as required by the Maintenance Supervisor
- Redecoration of any area, agreed as reasonable on instruction
- Routinely maintain the flooring surfaces of the Sports Hall, Dining Room and Swimming Pool
- Monitor the performance of various mechanical or electrical equipment and reporting any concerns of mechanical defects to the Maintenance Supervisor promptly
- Inspect all areas for dangerous materials and remove, including emergency cleaning of spillages, in the absence of housekeeping staff
- Regular collection and removal of recycling materials to the correct storage receptacles.
- Inspect all outside areas for dangerous materials and make safe, including emergency cleaning of spillages from accident, sickness, vandalism and fire.
- Clear leaves, snow, ice, moss and detritus as appropriate including treatment of surfaces with salt, and ensure sufficient materials are available when the conditions demand.
- Clean and clear all drains and gullies to ensure effective and healthy operation
- Maintain the general appearance of the site
- Monitor the performance of the electronic locks reporting any malfunction of doors or physical interference with the security measures in place to the Estates Manager
- To ensure sound Health and Safety practices are being adhered to
- Assist maintaining a healthy environment for staff and pupils, clearing spillages etc. when necessary
- Participate in the cover arrangements for out of hours activities, in agreement with the Maintenance Supervisor as required
- Occasionally provide cover at weekends for opening and closing of the school. This cover will be remunerated in addition to the agreed salary package. Weekend rota to be published annually and monitored by the Head of Maintenance
- Provide cover for school minibus journeys, particularly due to planned or unplanned absences
The ideal candidate will have/ be:
- Previous experience in a general maintenance role
- Dedicated, hardworking and proud of their work
- A team player who is friendly and professional with the ability to relate well to children and adults
- Responsible, flexible and reliable with an understanding of health & safety issues
- Valid licence to drive in the UK
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all of our staff to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to undertake an enhanced disclosure via the DBS and to register with the update service.
Please click on the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the link to our Client's careers page.
NOTE: You will only be considered for this role if the application form is completed.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of Electrical Engineer, Facilities Management, Maintenance Engineer, Maintenance Technician, Qualified Electrician, Maintenance Coordinator, Electrician, Maintenance Supervisor and Estates Management may also be considered for this role.