Digital News Correspondent
We are seeking a talented writer to join Reach Plc's, Nottingham team, as a Digital News Correspondent.
Reporting to the Digital News Editor, you will help develop our coverage of major news and events in and around Nottingham. You will generate great ideas, write sparkling copy and produce compelling photographs and video for our website, nottinghampost
This is an exciting and demanding role that requires experience of digital writing. You must be able to work well in a team.
Who are we?
Reach Plc is one of the largest multimedia publishers in the UK with an award-winning portfolio that spans the country. Our media brands bring news, entertainment and new opportunities to local, regional and national communities every day.
We employ 5000 people across more than 60 locations and our publications, websites and digital services help our advertisers connect with large national and regional audiences.
Whether it's our five national newspapers or our range of much loved regional titles, our iconic publications and news sites provide all the news, sport and showbiz stories that matter.
You will also be expected to maintain a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and the Editors' Code that is enforced by IPSO. You will take responsibility for and ownership of coverage of local news, in the newsroom, working directly with the editors to set the content agenda. In all, you will be a be a public face for, and trusted authority on, local news.
- Help shape the agenda and tone of coverage around local news.
- Provide authoritative content relating to local news through exclusives, mobile-friendly content, respected opinion, analysis, video, blogging and tweeting.
- Generate content according to the requirements of the digital newsroom publishing schedule, including a minimum output for each key audience spike, as directed by digital news editor.
- Write and share content in a way which engages digital audiences and which meets standards set by the business in terms of quality, consistency, legal accuracy and Editor's Code of Practice compliance.
- Provide live coverage of news events, as and when required.
- Source third-party content, including blogs, video, audio and pictures.
- Deliver content as a package (including video/audio/pictures) wherever possible.
- Build strong contacts for story-gathering within local news and spend time liaising externally with communities local news blog, as required.
- Maintain a blog and engaging social media presence including sharing content links daily
The Ideal Candidate
- A Trinity Mirror or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience)
- Excellent writing skills and proven experience writing high-quality content in subject area
- Up-to-date legal knowledge
- Excellent communicator on social media
- Deep understanding of issues relating to specialist subject
- Demonstrable experience of delivering great ideas for content
- Comfortable at getting out and about and making contacts
- Ability to shoot and edit video and audio
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Good digital skills including experience using a web content management system and understanding of SEO
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Self-motivated and able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Full driving licence
In addition to competitive salaries, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc offer a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets & parking loans and an employee assistance programme.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.