SpecialEffect Charity, based in Charlbury, Oxfordshire, is looking for an Occupational Therapist who has enthusiasm for the benefits of video games.
You would join a multi-professional assessment and support team who are helping severely disabled people throughout the UK to find a way to access technology.
Occupational Therapist Job Summary
Application of occupational therapy knowledge, skills and experience of working with people who have complex physical, sensory and/or learning difficulties to:
- contribute to SpecialEffect projects and events
- assist the team in carrying out the charity’s objectives
- assist in the continuing growth of the charity
- contribute to internal and external presentations, as required.
Responsibilities (Main Duties and Tasks):
- Working in accordance with the Royal College of Occupational Therapy Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, including maintaining accurate and up-to-date clinical notes and records of continuing professional development.
- Working as part of the service delivery team involving home visits, hospital visits, assessments, support, training and visitors to the Centre.
- Assisting in other projects and events, as required.
- Sourcing and co-ordinating information/research on subjects relevant to the work of SpecialEffect
- Researching and sourcing new and emerging access technology and software.
- Delivering presentations to a wide range of audiences, including conferences and potential funders, as required.
- Attendance at exhibitions, as required.
- Supporting all members of staff to assist in the smooth running and continuing growth of the charity.
- Provision of guidance and expertise to staff.
- Organising and maintaining paper documents and computer–based information.
- Use of computer software and systems, both for administrative and client-based work.
- Liaising with members of staff as well as with outside agencies.
- Additional duties and tasks that may arise as the charity develops, as requested by the CEO.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BSc (Hons) Degree in Occupational Therapy.
- Knowledge and understanding of the difficulties faced by people who have complex physical, sensory and learning difficulties.
- Personal experience of using video games technology.
- Knowledge of alternative ways to access computer technology.
- Ability to work in partnership with people with disabilities to find appropriate access solutions.
- Good observation and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work as an individual and as a team member.
- Ability to communicate, both formally and informally, with users and their families/carers, team members, OT colleagues and other outside agencies.
- Good written communication skills.
- Good personal organisation skills, including time management and the ability to plan, prioritise and maintain quality of own workload
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office computer software packages.
- Commitment and a conscientious approach to work.
- Ability to be highly flexible with working procedures and working hours, including the possibility of working away, both in the UK and abroad.
- Clean driving licence and the willingness to drive independently or share driving on visits with colleagues.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance Cover through membership of the British Association of OT (BAOT)
- Registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Although the general working week is Monday to Friday, some support may be required out of hours in locations away from the office, both in the UK and abroad, sometimes for several days at a time.
- Adhere to and comply with organisational policies, procedures and guidelines at all times
- Take responsibility for personal health and safety and that of colleagues and visitors
- Implement Risk Management Strategies and other Procedures
- Comply with the charity’s policy on confidentiality and the Data Protection Act
- Empathy with the charity’s aims and objectives
- Act at all times in a professional and responsible manner and have due regard to confidentiality and Health & Safety legislation
Full-time permanent position.
2018 Graduates welcome to apply.
To apply, please attach your CV and covering letter to the link provided and SpecialEffect will be in direct contact after the closing date.
Closing date for applications: 3rd October 2018.
Interviews to be held on: 10th October 2018.
This advert is being managed by Partners of Research Ltd. trading as Hiring People. Your details will be passed onto our client. In some cases, where our client is acting on behalf of another employer, your details will also be passed onto them. We expect our clients to hold your data in a responsible fashion, but ultimately have no control. Partners of Research Ltd and/or our client may contact you confirming receipt of your application. Your data will be located on servers both within and outside the EU.