Hours: 22.5 per week (Part time, initial 12 months contract subject to review after probation period)
Salary: Starting at £30,000 per annum, pro-rata’d (£18,000 p.a.)
About the Role
Whilst the Operations Director retains overall responsibility for the smooth running of the charity’s operations, as The Woodworks Project’s Business Manager, you will be responsible for the delivery of key aspects of the business. You will support the Operations Director and the Board of Trustees in processing, monitoring and overseeing the charity’s finances; preparation and presentation of management reports to key stakeholders; and assisting with fundraising applications. You will be responsible for liaising with the charity’s accountant, fundraisers and shop manager. As an integral part of our team, you will proactively support the delivery of The Woodworks Project’s workshops to our clients by overseeing the day-to-day office and workshop administration, IT and communications, and ensuring that the workshop is compliant with legal and regulatory requirements. You will also assist the Operations Director and Trustees with the development of an appropriate business plan to support the organisation. You will contribute to the delivery of the business plan, measured through a set of Key Performance Indicators, including, but not limited to, taking the Woodworks Shop online and development of new revenue streams to support the charity’s core furniture and upholstery courses.
You may be required to represent The Woodworks Projects at external events. Additionally, you may be requested to work autonomously across the organisation, as the need arises.
The Business Manager is a pivotal role within the organisation, and as such, has a dotted reporting line to the Board of Trustees.
As the Business Manager, your main responsibilities will involve:
- Processing, monitoring and overseeing the charity’s finances, including salaries, pensions, VAT and Gift Aid;
- Supporting the charity’s accountant in the preparation of the P&L, Balance Sheet, cash flow forecasts and financial returns;
- Periodically reporting on the charity’s finances to the Operations Director and the Board of Trustees;
- Assisting with fundraising applications;
- Liaising with key stakeholders including the charity’s accountant, fundraisers, shop manager and Board of Trustees;
- Day-to-day office and workshop administration including insurance, utilities, office supplies and building maintenance;
- Legal and regulatory compliance, including drafting key policies and procedures; and
- Oversight of IT and communications.
As the Business Manager, your skills and experience will include:
- Broad business experience, including a deep understanding of financial accounts, monitoring budgets, project and operations management;
- Excellent written and oral communications, planning and organisation skills, with a focus on detail;
- The ability to work independently and as an active member of the team;
- Ability, proactiveness and willingness to drive improvements in the organisation;
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a can-do attitude;
- Educated to a degree level or with a similar level of experience; and
- Highly competent IT skills, including word processing, spreadsheet analysis and presentations.
The Woodworks Project runs furniture and upholstery workshop projects for the benefit of people who face difficulties through their mental or physical health, or history of addiction, to help them move forward in their lives in a friendly, relaxed and supportive environment. They work on making, renovating and upholstering furniture, which is then sold in our shop. Along the way, they will learn all the woodworking and upholstery skills needed to produce work to a high standard from our experienced and expert tutors.
We aim to help clients in Bath to transform their emotional state, skills and readiness for employment through woodwork and upholstery.
Email your CV to apply.
Apply for Business Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly