Female Support Worker - WC1
Female Support Worker
(Exemption is claimed under the Equality Act 2010 Part 1 Schedule 9)
SALARY: £13.00 per hr weekdays
HOURS: 15 hours weekday.
5 x 3hr shifts during the day
Some flexibility in this pattern will be required although hours will fall within core hours of 9.00am-4.00pm
RESPONSIBLE TO: THE EMPLOYER and CASE MANAGER
REPORTING TO: THE FAMILY/EMPLOYER AND THE CASE MANAGER
CLOSING DATE: 5.00PM MONDAY 24TH SEPTEMBER
INTERVIEW DATE: TBC
To work alongside the family to support and facilitate the independence of our client, a young girl born in 2014 who lives with her parents. She has a complex medical condition, resulting in physical and learning disabilities and requiring 24/7 1:1 care.
Her care needs are complex and the family needs support in managing her days to day needs; in the home, assistance in undertaking activities, engaging in a therapy programme and to engage in community-based activities.
The work is varied and involves assisting the client and her mother to access the local community and its amenities, helping with therapy programmes.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY DUTIES
- To assist the client's mother with our client's personal care
- To assist with the client's tube feeding
- To ensure opportunity is given to participate in activities as identified by client's parents / others while achieving a balance between activity and rest for the client.
- To assist in all therapeutic activities as prescribed by and with supervision of MDT.
- To assist with promoting an engaging environment within the home.
- To support our client to access, participate and enjoy home, therapy and leisure activities which frequently involves a physical element. This may be physically assisting or supporting them, manoeuvring therapy or mobility equipment and/or using specialist equipment to move the client. Some of the handling tasks may require you to be agile and mobile and you may be required to work on mats on the floor.
- To drive the client's vehicle.
- To accompany our client and her parents to attend medical and therapy appointments.
- To assist with light domestic duties when our client is asleep or feeding as required.
- To ensure our client's immediate home environment is kept tidy and well organised.
- To ensure consistency of approach with the client in accordance with advised approaches to care and any emerging therapy aims.
- To liaise with and support the family as required.
- To work as part of a team and communicate appropriately with fellow team members.
- To follow the Service User Plan as documented for the client.
- To be aware of any significant changes in the client's health, functioning or behaviour, and inform the client's family, case manager as appropriate.
- To encourage the client's independence as far as possible.
- To be aware of the client's vulnerability and take precautions to protect it.
- To be aware of the cognitive problems and endeavour to cater for these at all times.
- To respect confidentiality at all times.
- To be aware of the client's limitations and strengths.
- Within reason, to adapt support according to changing needs, as directed.
- To be trained in all relevant skills to undertake role, as identified by the case manager in liaison with other professionals involved in delivery of support for client.
- To adhere to guidelines when taking the client out in the community.
- To be answerable to the client's parents in the first instance and clinically supervised by the case manager.
- To be aware of the problems that the client may have due to her conditions.
- Attend relevant training days and sessions when the opportunity arises.
- To attend meetings as requested.
- To complete relevant documentation as instructed.
- Keep your own record of hours worked on the time sheet
- Provide feedback to the case manager and family on progress/problems.
- To be aware of the house rules, policies and procedures.
- To organise and manage own time according to delegated workload.
- *Female – personal care required
- *Physically fit – Even with specialist moving and handling equipment and training in place, it is important that you are physically able to carry out the moving and handling tasks as advised which may require you to bend, kneel, squat or lunge to ensure good posture.
- CQC Level 2 (or equivalent) in Care
- Recent training in first aid and health & safety
- Good understanding of the personal needs of a client with physical and learning disabilities
- Ability to follow instructions / guidance.
- Experience of working with children
- Experience of liaising with professionals
- Experience of working with families
- Experience of and interest in, working with a multi-disciplinary team which might include a physiotherapist, occupational therapist, speech and language therapist and psychologist
- You must be patient, warm and enthusiastic
- You must be cheerful with a positive outlook and a sense of humour
- You must be reliable and trustworthy
- You must be flexible
- You must be able to work independently and use own initiative
- You must be well-organised and able to remain calm and cope in a difficult or emergency situation
- Ability to learn and interested in learning new skills.
- Be non-judgemental
- Confidentiality – discreet
- Excellent communication skills – both oral and written.
- Ability to build up rapport with client, family and others
- Ability to enjoy working as part of a team and to respect boundaries
- Be able to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain accurate and confidential records.
- Be able to maintain a consistent approach.
- Able to take and give constructive criticism.
- Show consideration to others, including the family.
- Be non-judgmental.
- Full driving license for a manual car
*The Employer claims a Genuine Occupational Requirement exemption under the Equality Act 2010
This role is subject to an Enhanced level DBS check.
Please apply online and send your current CV / Cover Letter and any further documents supporting your application.
Orange Recruitment is advertising this position on behalf of our client. By clicking apply you accept that your application will be forwarded to only this client in order for them to consider you for the role.