Systems and Platform Engineers
More photos have been taken this decade than in the rest of history! Rapid advances in mobile technology mean that over a trillion pictures are captured each year. Our client helps the photo industry stay ahead of the game.
Our client is looking for talented engineers to work with them to build solutions for some of the world’s biggest brands, and millions of their customers. Over the last 12 years, they’ve grown a diverse client base that ranges from individual store owners, through high street chains to massive global corporations. Although they are based in the UK, their clients are based worldwide.
Why you should join our client
- They love developing technology, utilizing Open Source projects as the foundation for their systems
- They have an open, honest and transparent culture
- They empower people to make decisions with impact
- They are open to change in their processes, techniques and skills
- They have a smart, motivated and supportive team
- They value learning, agility and feedback
Their team finds creative and innovative ways to solve complex hardware and software problems for their clients. They keep development cycles fast, adapting as they go along, and investing in a culture of discovery, continual feedback and improvement.
They are looking for individuals committed to learning more of their trade, and supporting each other’s growth in the process. They still have a startup-like culture of openness to ideas and opportunities for talent to be put to good use… plus a market-tested and profitable product line.
You will join around 80 other staff, based in comfortable, freshly renovated offices located in a conservation area in Hampshire. Trains are a 5-minute walk away, and they are also a 15 minute walk to the sea. They’ve got all the usual suspects; breakout areas, a games room and free on-site parking. Plus, a sizable garden, fitness suite, a plethora of musical instruments, modern kitchens, a host of the latest gadgets, opportunities for sporting enthusiasts, copious nerf guns and much more. Plus a 1Gbps fibre connection… they take their technology very seriously!
To make a long story short, they’ve grown a place where they love working, and they think you will too.
The Systems and Platform Engineering Team are recruiting!
They are responsible for all technology surrounding their web service applications and internally supporting their business; from hardware and cloud infrastructure to building microservice data migration pipelines, and chatbots to application deployment. They predominantly use open source technologies on Linux with most automation in Chef and Ruby. Jointly, the team has a very wide skill set, they work together to deliver great technical solutions, improve business efficiency and improve their own working practices.
They are looking for technologists who enjoy a challenge, want to learn and expand their mindset and help the company continue to create the best possible operating environment. They have an open mind to their future team member. They are open to all levels of experience, from senior to junior. They do not expect you to know the technologies they use.
What you’ll be doing
- You could be working with any of these technologies : Linux, chef, ruby, bash, Ceph, MySQL, Redis, nginx, Apache, Rails, capistrano, HAProxy, memcache, TCP/IP, Zabbix, Grafana, DataDog, NFS, AWS, Azure, Kubernetes, hardware, VPN, terraform, iptables, the list goes on.
- You could be working on these prioritised projects : migrating 4 petabytes to the cloud, safely; developing their cloud-based load testing rig to stress test each component of their platform; re-architecting their product themepack building and distribution infrastructure; incrementally improving their application release process.
- Both Software Development and Systems Engineering rotate team members to form their multi-discipline operations team, with a member of Tech Support. This team is their response team to production issues and, with its mix of skills, is able to produce optimal fixes at the root cause.
- You will also join an on call weekly rota of 10 engineers. They compensate for each week on call and for every call out. They all support each other through major issues. Any new team member would only go on call after being judged to have reached a minimal level of experience and/or when given appropriate training.
You should apply if...
- You have commercial Linux experience
- You can and want to learn new technologies
- You are enthusiastic to create great technical solutions
- You can be creative
- £30,000 - £55,000 commensurate with skills/experience
- 28 days paid holiday (including Bank Holidays) rising by a day each year to 31 days after 3 years’ service
- A generous bonus scheme to reward your contribution to the success of the company, paid at Christmas
- 4% contributions towards the NEST pension scheme
- Membership of a Health and Wellbeing support scheme
- Childcare Vouchers and membership of a Ride2Work scheme (discounted bicycles)
- A healthy social calendar
- Learning and development opportunities, both internally and externally
Applications should consist of a one page covering letter explaining how you fulfil the role above and describing an interesting technical project or problem that you've worked on recently. Send this with your full CV and a link to a GitHub account (if you have one) in the form of attachments only.
*PLEASE NOTE – by applying to this position, you agree for your CV and details to be submitted to our client, who shall contact you directly, should your application make their short-list.