Search and Trends Writer
Do you want to work in one of the country's most vibrant newsrooms covering the best city in the world? The Manchester Evening News is already the largest regional website in the country with a huge audience but we want to get even bigger.
We are looking for candidates with excellent storytelling techniques, superb social media skills, and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging to digital audiences.
Candidates will be qualified journalists but we will consider, in special circumstances, applicants who have equivalent experience and an exceptional track record.
- Work quickly and responsively to create engaging content around topics which are trending, creatively and proactively suggesting ideas as well as responding to real-time analytics, trends and searches
- Research audience trends and search habits around key themes and events to produce content around the right search terms and in formats which drive the greatest response
- Monitor social media to spot and capitalise on content opportunities around trending stories and topics in a way which maximises audience engagement
- Contribute to and maintain forward planning calendars for content based around audience activity, seasons, events, topics and trends, updating annually and adding new ideas as required
- Be able to write across all subject areas showing flexible and transferable skills
- Participate in a seven-day rota to support consistency of publishing across web, app and social media channels
- Develop and implement search plans around key events and specific search terms as directed
- Spot where trending content brings opportunities to create compelling local interest stories
- Experiment with local search content
- Work as part of the team maintaining evergreen content in line with a republishing schedule
- Generate a stream of content including a minimum output
- Use analytics to monitor the performance of trending content
- Source third-party content, including video, audio and pictures, to add value to content and delivering content as a full package.
The Ideal Candidate
- Reach Plc or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience)
- Excellent writing and storytelling skills
- Strong track record and deep understanding in the use of SEO techniques
- Awareness and understanding of how people use the internet to search for information
- Experience of using search analytics to identify digital audience and content trends
- Good understanding of social media
- Strong digital skills including experience using a web content management system
- Ability to edit video and audio
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
In addition to competitive salaries, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc offer a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets & parking loans and an employee assistance programme.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.