Head of Transport Planning
About The Role
We're seeking an enthusiastic Transport Planning professional to fulfil the role of 'Head of Transport Planning' within our Transportation Sustainability & Operations Group. The appointed individual will provide technical leadership to a team of consultants involved in Sustainable Transport and Future Mobility, and support the team's activities across TRL's wider business interests. You will also act as the Group's key client liaison in this field.
The position will involve working on a wide range of activities in Sustainable Transport and Future Mobility, and will be responsible for the development of our market offering in Transport Planning. To enable this you will have excellent knowledge of a range of transport planning principles and techniques that will be used to deliver client requirements.
In addition, a key requirement of the role will be business development through engagement with clients and using your knowledge in the Transport Planning arena to develop new contacts and relationships.
- Building the Transport Planning business through leveraging contacts in the Transport Planning arena, and developing new contacts and relationships through business development activities.
- Writing tenders and bidding for transport planning work.
- Project Management of Sustainable Transport and Future Mobility related consultancy projects.
- Design, analysis and presentation of consultancy projects, carrying out a broad range of analyses autonomously - and supporting junior members of the team to deliver projects.
- Providing Technical Leadership of complex multidisciplinary teams, including the development of successful tenders.
- Writing concise, client-focused technical reports, often for non-technical audiences.
- Presentation of findings to clients and senior stakeholders, developing and pursuing new business opportunities.
Skills & Experience
- Substantial experience working in the Transport Planning arena.
- Up to date knowledge on latest transport policies and legislation, design standards and planning process applicable to the UK.
- Experience of standard transport modelling software including JUNCTIONS, TRANSYT, and micro-simulation modelling software.
- Knowledge of Masterplanning, Transport Assessments, Transport Statements, Travel Plans and highway design.
- Fully WEBTAG conversant.
- Experience in developing business and bid writing with a proven track record in business winning.
- Project Management of multiple projects, achieving required client outcomes to budget and schedule.
- Experience of managing and motivating teams.
- Ability to produce clear, precise and coherent analysis to aid in problem solving and the production of technical reports.
- Ability to identify opportunities for innovation and improvement within the business.
- Self-motivation, being able to both lead and work as a member of a cross-disciplinary team.
- Excellent time management and the ability to prioritise effectively.
- Degree qualified or equivalent - with relevant experience in a senior Transport Planning professional role.
- Membership of a relevant professional institution (e.g. Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation).
Eligible candidates must be able to demonstra