Software Product Development Manager
About The Role
We have a new opportunity for an experienced Software Development Manager with extensive knowledge implementing Agile methods combined with a passion for software product development. Following a reshape of our established traffic and transport software solutions business, the successful applicant will take responsibility for leading technical Product Development through managing and mentoring the existing team and ensuring the adoption of appropriate software tools and methods. As part of the Software Leadership team the position holds joint accountability for shaping the direction and future performance of the software business to help build out a culture that is commercial, customer and market focused.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of the product management roadmap, and ensure that product improvements and new products are delivered in line with this.
- Lead and manage the software product development using Agile methods and practices to build a leading-edge software development team
- Manage cost of development in line with agreed budgets
- Champion work to assess how new technologies can be deployed to enhance our products and/or value proposition to customers
- Champion the deployment of analytics to track product performance and gather data to improve the user experience
- Support the sales process
- Introduce and model ways of working that create a culture that is commercial, customer-centric and change-orientated, introducing leading edge working practices that will accelerate development without compromising quality and costs
- Fully participate in the leadership of the whole TRL Software business and in key governance groups
- Build a high performing Software Product Development team, providing effective leadership and line management.
- Shape the strategic direction and performance of the TRL Software business as a whole.
Skills & Experience
This role calls for someone who can combine a passion for the technical aspects of the role, a strong commercial appreciation and well-honed people management and leadership skills.
Key attributes should include
- Significant experience successfully implementing AGILE methods and practices in a software development team
- A track record of delivering software product improvements and new products in an agile and cost effective way
- An effective people manager and team builder
- Strong business acumen and a commercial mindset
- A strategic thinker who is able to identify how changes in technology can be harnessed to improve existing products and develop new products to meet changing customer expectations and markets
- Experience developing Software as a Service (SAAS)
- A natural team player, highly-motivated and ambitious for the success of the whole TRL Software team and able to provide effective leadership to the whole of TRL Software
- Ability to manage priorities in a high pressure environment
- Experience working in a fluid environment that requires strong internal networks and relationships to be built to get things done
Degree qualified or have equivalent professional qualifications and experience
The successful applicant will be a resourceful, articulate verbal and written communicator who has the ability to influence others through the use of sound judgement and good sense