Job Title: Gardener/Groundsperson
Reports To: The Bursar & Estates Bursar, but with day to day responsibility to the Head Gardener & Head Groundsman.
Place of Work: Your primary place of work is King Edward’s School, North Road, Bath & King Edward’s Playing Fields, Bathampton or such other place as the School may from time to time direct.
Salary Scale: Scale Point A13 – A16 £17,696 - £18,837
Starting Salary: Scale Point A13 - £17,696
Hours of Work: 37 hours per week to be worked flexibly according to the season, weather, and pressure of work. Monday to Friday, and Saturdays as required during Term-Time for matches and fixtures. A minimum of half an hour unpaid lunch break to be taken (lunch provided during term-time when working at the North Road site.
Holidays: 20 days, plus 2 statutory days, plus 8 Bank Holidays paid holiday per annum, rising by 1 extra day for each completed year up to a maximum of 25 days.
Pension: Automatic enrolment into the KES Support Staff Personal Pension Scheme with Employer’s Contribution of 6% of salary, to be matched by 2% Employee contribution.
The School: King Edward’s School, founded in 1552, is an Independent Co-Educational Day School; there are currently 700 pupils in the Senior School (including 220 pupils in the Sixth Form), 190 in the Junior School and 75 in the Pre-Prep.
The School is wonderfully situated on a 14 acre site on the south eastern edge of Bath, just below the University, with fine views of the City Centre and surrounding hills. In addition, there are attractive playing fields one mile from the school at Bathampton.
To assist the Head Gardener and Grounds-person in ensuring the school site is a pleasant, safe and secure environment for colleagues, students and visitors. To undertake grounds maintenance and landscape duties under the direction of the Head Gardener and to assist with the maintenance of school sports playing surfaces under the direction of the Head Groundsman for all sports provision.
- Assist in the cutting and maintaining of lawns, grass & hedges and undertaking soft and hard landscaping to enhance the presentation of the School site using a variety of machines, including pedestrian operated, tractors & ride-on mowers and strimmers,
- Maintenance of shrub borders including pruning and weeding
- Maintenance of herbaceous borders including weeding, staking, pruning, mulching and replanting as required
- Chemical spraying and application of fertilisers and pesticides
· Ensure that all walkways and vehicle access are free from debris including litter, fallen leaves, twigs and branches;
- Prior to and during inclement weather, grit and salt the access routes across the whole school site;
- To understand the safe use and operation of machinery and ensure that best practice is adhered to at all times including the appropriate use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);
- Assist with new landscaping work undertaken by the Gardens Department
- In tandem with the Grounds team, learn the process of repairing, managing, monitoring and preparing rugby pitches, cricket squares and outfield at Bathampton playing fields.
- Assist with or carry out the creation, marking out and setting up of playing surfaces as required depending on the season and different sports
- Maintain and store tools and equipment in a correct, safe and secure manner
· Maintain good relationships with other staff, students, visitors and neighbours
· Advise the Head Gardener of equipment breakdowns or malfunctions
- Advise the Head Gardener of progress on tasks and those unfinished
- Assist the Porters and Maintenance team as and when required
- Carry out other duties appropriate to the post as required by the Head Gardner/Estates Bursar
- Good level of fitness with the ability to work in all weather conditions
- Interest in gardening and/or sport.
- Aptitude and willingness to develop practical groundsman’s and/or gardening skills and knowledge.
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated with a high degree of common sense.
- Flexibility and sense of humour highly desirable.
- Working knowledge and understanding or the willingness to learn about of Health & Safety.
- Ability to drive with current driving licence is desirable.
All staff are in a position of trust and have a duty to keep the children and young people safe and to protect them from neglect and physical and emotional harm. Staff are expected to be familiar with the local child protection arrangements and understand their responsibilities in order to safeguard and protect children and young people.
King Edward’s School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and applicants must be willing to undergo safeguarding screening including checks with past employers and a DBS disclosure in accordance with the DBS Code of Conduct. All appointments are made subject to satisfactory DBS clearance. The suitability of all prospective employees or volunteers will be assessed during the recruitment process in line with this commitment.
Apply for Gardener/Groundsperson
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly