Debt Advice Caseworkers
We are looking to recruit 1 full time and 1 part time post to this role.
The posts are primarily aimed at people who have experience of advising and carrying out casework in Debt Advice. However, consideration will be given to training strong candidates with no or limited previous experience, who have transferable skills and can demonstrate a strong potential in the field of Debt Advice.
To provide a quality assured money advice casework service at CALS main office and at outreach venues when required. Work towards meeting targets and contributing to the continuing improvement and development of services provided by CALS whilst working as part of the advice team.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and maintain an active caseload, providing a comprehensive debt advice, advocacy and casework service to clients on all matters relating to debt and ensuring accurate time recording for direct casework.
- Advise debt clients on entitlements to social security benefits, in order to maximise their income, and to assist clients to make applications for charitable funds where appropriate
- Maintain computer records and case files to the standard set by the Legal Aid Agency and the Specialist Quality Mark in the debt category of law, in accordance with CALS case management procedures
- Comply with all monitoring requirements of CALS recording statistical information, accurately and regularly, using manual and computerised systems
- Attend relevant training to ensure professional development of existing skills and knowledge,
- Keep up to date with relevant legislation and case law in the debt category and to communicate this knowledge to less experienced advisors
- Developing and maintaining a working relationship with local organisations in both the statutory and voluntary sector
- Provide cover and carry out other tasks within CALS that may be deemed necessary to meet all of CALS service delivery requirements
QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE
- At least 1 years recent experience of Debt advice work with the minimum of direct supervision.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of the debt advice process and the powers of priority and non- priority creditors in the enforcement of debt.
- Experience of advising clients on Bankruptcy and Debt Relief Orders
- Status as an approved Debt Relief Order Intermediary or sufficient experience to be able to apply for approved status
- Ability to assimilate and understand large amounts of information and to identify urgent and important issues
- Experience of maximising client’s income- including identifying benefit entitlements, providing budgeting advice and preparing grant applications.
- Working knowledge of MS applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience of advice at a basic level on welfare benefits entitlements
- Experience of working as part of a team and also working on your own without direct supervision
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to make and maintain excellent working relationships with a variety of individuals at all levels, personable and approachable
- Energetic, well organised and able to work without close supervision, self-motivated and confident
- Ability to manage own workload and work under pressure to meet changing priorities
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- Commitment to equal opportunities
- Proven time management skills - able to work to timescales accurately and efficiently