Attendance and Engagement Officer
Attendance and Engagement Officer Service conditions: Surrey Pay Salary Grade: SN7 Salary: £24,642-£28,590 (Pro rata £21,544.91 - £24,996.72) Hours per week: 36 hours per week 8:00am – 3:45pm Monday – Thursday 8:00am-3:30pm Friday (30 min unpaid lunch break each day) Weeks per year: 40
Reports to: Head of Pastoral
To promote a positive attendance and punctuality culture through the provision of an efficient attendance service for Broadwater School. To manage and oversee all issues relating to student attendance by acting as children’s education advocate. To improve attendance rates, reduce student absence and engage with students, families and other agencies to facilitate the promotion of high levels of attendance. This is undertaken with paramount consideration given to the child and through support, liaison and negotiation.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure accurate recording and collation of attendance data via the use of SIMS, liaising with teachers, tutors, Leaders of Achievement and support staff in a timely and efficient manner, tracking all unexplained absences on a daily basis.
- Analyse attendance data, identifying students with unsatisfactory attendance, providing information to the Attendance Lead, SLT, Leaders of Achievement, Form tutors, EWO and DSLs.
- Work to identify and implement strategies e.g. attendance rewards and incentives that contribute to raising achievement by improving school attendance, achieving school targets, improving punctuality and reducing persistent absence.
- To maintain constructive relationships with parents and ensure they are made fully aware of their statutory responsibilities.
- To chair, attend and participate in meetings and keep clear and concise records. To write minutes and/or reports arising from meetings with action plans as required.
- To produce regular reports for SLT, Leaders of Achievements and Governors.
- Be the first contact for all attendance issues in school and advising members of the school on all matters relating to attendance.
- Be fully aware of and carry out all work in line with Child Protection and Safeguarding procedures.
- To ensure all registers are completed promptly, reminding staff to complete registers where appropriate, resolving missing marks and unexplained absences.
- To contact parents as soon as possible when a student is absent and no message or response has been received via TruancyCall to explain the absence.
- Follow up unexplained absences via phone calls and letters, as appropriate, until a response is received accounting for absence.
- Establish reasons for long-term absence, make assessments and agree a plan for facilitating a return to school using appropriate strategies within specified timescales.
- Provide advice and support for students returning to school after a long period of absence.
- To ensure that attendance codes are being used correctly.
- Work with the Education Welfare Service regarding any necessary legal action to ensure the school is carrying out its statutory responsibility. This will include assisting in the preparation of reports, evidence and documentation pertaining to penalty notices or other legal sanctions as appropriate.
- Monitoring of punctuality to school, making use of SIMS to keep accurate records of lateness and action appropriate consequences.
- To monitor the attendance of vulnerable groups of students and liaise with appropriate staff i.e. SEND department and those staff responsible for Pupil Premium. Work with identified groups of students to promote positive attitudes towards school to improve attendance levels.
- Undertake home visits across the catchment area where attendance is a concern in order to plan reintegration into school.
- Work to ensure increased engagement by parents and improved attendance at Parents Evenings through follow up conversations.
- To support the Head teacher in processing the ‘Leave of Absence’ request forms.
- Input relevant attendance data relating to examinations, school trips, alternative provision and medical appointments etc.
- To liaise and work with other agencies where required to support a student’s attendance.
- Participate in the development of school reward systems in relation to attendance.
- Participate in INSET and other training opportunities where required.
- Keep up to date with current technology and oversee the training of staff in attendance and registration issues.
- To assist with and check records prior to the census to ensure school attendance is accurate and up to date i.e. no N codes or other unexplained marks.
- To manage and prioritise your own workload in line with requirements.
- Attend school events as contractually required.
- Undertake the role assigned in the event of an emergency as detailed in the emergency plans and evacuation procedures i.e. first aid book, signing in/out book, registers etc.
- Undertake First Aid training and responsibilities as required.
- Maintain confidentiality and security of personal data at all times ensuring compliance with the Data Protection Act.
- Take responsibility for maintaining an awareness and knowledge of current thinking in all matters pertaining to secondary school attendance including CPD opportunities, sharing of good practise with colleagues within the Waverley Federation and wider communities.
- To engage with the Attendance Lead/AHT and participate pro-actively in the annual appraisal and line management processes striving to achieve the objectives set which will be robust and measurable. Where appropriate, request and engage with any support that may be offered as assistance in achieving targets, work efficacy etc.
- To oversee lesson monitoring and missing registers, producing reports as required.
- To maintain the Attendance noticeboard as directed by the School Lead for Attendance.
- Carry out any other reasonable duties and/or times of work as may be reasonably required in accordance with the grade and general level of responsibility within the school.
- Carry out requests from the Head teacher, Attendance Lead, Pastoral team and SLT in a prompt and efficient manner.
This job description forms part of the contract of employment of the person appointed to the post. The duties, responsibilities and accountabilities highlighted in this job description are indicative and may vary over time at the discretion of the School. This job description will be reviewed annually and is an integral part of the Appraisal and line management process.
The job description is current at the date issued, but may be updated in consultation with you to meet changes to regulations or circumstances. These would be commensurate with the grade and title of the post.
Please complete the attached application form and click apply to attach the completed form to send it to us.
CV's not accepted
Apply for Attendance and Engagement Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly