Research Funding Manager
Research Funding Manager - Research Careers
GBP32,000 - GBP36,000 p.a. excellent benefits
Full time, permanent
Closing Date: Midnight 2nd September 2018*
Are you a collaborative individual with strong relationship management skills who can help us beat cancer sooner?
At Cancer Research UK, we aim to ensure that we fund and support a wealth of innovative, world-class cancer research that will contribute towards our vision of beating cancer sooner. The Research Careers team manages the organisation's funding streams for clinical and non-clinical fellowships and bursaries, supporting and developing researchers throughout their career to become the cancer research leaders of tomorrow.
We are looking for a confident individual who can oversee the effective and efficient review, funding and management of our careers portfolio, contributing to the ongoing planning, development and review of our early careers strategy. This role will particularly focus on supporting and developing our clinical academic career pipeline.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Managing Cancer Research UK's portfolio of Fellowship applications
- Delivering the peer review process for all applications, including maintaining strong relationships with applicants and feeding back on funding decisions
- Overseeing the Clinical Careers Committee and supporting the New Investigator Committee, including writing and providing scientific reports, Chair briefings, and application summaries
- Liaising with internal and external partners in support of our careers funding, in particular in relation to the clinical academic funding landscape
- Maintaining excellent relationships with the wider research community, in particular with respect to clinical academics
- Facilitating a series of networking and training events to support our portfolio of early career researchers at all career levels
For a more detailed job description please click here.
Reporting to the Senior Research Funding Manager of Research Careers, you will use your excellent verbal and written communication skills to develop relationships with the research community, and work with multiple teams across CRUK to ensure a coordinated approach to delivering all activities to a high standard and in a timely manner to meet challenging deadlines.
To take on this exciting challenge, you'll have???
- Good knowledge of the UK biomedical research funding environment
- A PhD in cancer-related research or equivalent experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills to liaise with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Proven ability to interpret and explain complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Accuracy and outstanding attention to detail
Our passion, determination and ambition lead us to set ourselves more and more challenging targets. If you're as ambitious as we are, join our collective force and enjoy an excellent career.
*Please note that interviews will commence as early as w/c 20th August so early application is encouraged
At CRUK we value diversity and we're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures and believe that a diverse workforce will help us to beat cancer sooner.
Please note, from 2019, our head office will be relocating from Islington to a new office space in Stratford, close to the Olympic Park.