Job title: Commercial Counsel
Location: London, EC4N 8AF
Wage: £75,000 – £85,000
Employer: GSM Association
Date advert posted: 1 August 2018
Closing date: 29 August 2018
GSM Association (GSMA) is recruiting for the position of Commercial Counsel.
The GSMA legal team is responsible for providing the legal support for the full range of GSMA activities, including public policy initiatives, projects with operator and other members of the GSMA, GSMA’s international event businesses, commercial contracts for GSMA’s portfolio of managed services, and compliance matters. The 14-member legal team is located in London and Atlanta. It operates in a very collaborative and team-oriented manner.
The role of the Commercial Counsel will be to support the GSMA’s commercial activities, and specifically to act as the lead lawyer for the GSMA’s Managed Services portfolio of businesses. The Commercial Counsel will report to the Deputy General Counsel.
GSMA Managed Services provides services across the mobile ecosystem to mobile network operators, MVNOs, manufacturers, and a large number of other commercial organisations. Services include TAC/IMEI allocation, global blacklisting, and other related services. The GSMA Managed Services team is a rapidly growing area, with a globally distributed team. Accordingly, the role requires understanding of the workings of a multinational organisation, alongside the pace and challenge of a more agile high-growth business.
Key responsibilities include:
- drafting, analysing and summarising complicated legal documents and making suggestions for alterations of those documents in line with organisational policies
- negotiating with outside parties on contractual issues and legal disputes;
- anticipating and mitigating potential legal issues with an eye to reducing potential areas of risk for the organisation; and
- providing commercial legal support to GSMA’s international programmes, initiatives and international event businesses.
Criteria for selection
The candidate must possess the following attributes:
- Significant post-qualification experience gained in a well-regarded law firm (with preferably some time spent in-house).
- IT or telecommunications industry background, preferably experience in data commercialisation, database and software licensing, digital and technology procurement, and outsourcing.
- Significant experience with technology contracts (database licensing, SaaS, outsourcing).
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating high-volume commercial transactions, including but not limited to services agreements, cooperation agreements, and statements of work and license agreements.
- Demonstrable experience of working with C-level clients on issues of strategic importance to the organisation, delivering commercial legal advice in a concise and accessible manner.
- Working knowledge of EU and US data protection laws.
- Experience in cross-jurisdictional transactions and negotiating with customers and suppliers, including commercial partners and government entities.
- Experience in taking new technology-based products and services (including new services) to market, and managing their roll-out within the policy and risk framework of an established business.
- Strong communication and client management skills, with the ability to deliver practical legal advice in a fast-paced environment and significant experience working to transaction deadlines.
- Commitment to being a team player who can operate effectively and independently in a geographically dispersed and collaborative culture.
Candidates applying for this job should be prepared to make a few international trips each year.
Salary: £75,000 - £85,000 per annum
Apply via the online portal.
Date posted: 1 August 2018. Closing date: 29 August 2018.
Apply for Commercial Counsel
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly