Job Title: Data Scientist
Skill Band: Performance Mgmt
Location: United Kingdom - London
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2018
One Lime Street,
All roles within Lloyd's have an integral part to play in the achievement of the Strategy and Vision 2025 and will contribute overtly to Lloyd's becoming a brand that is globally admired and recognised and respected for its reputation as the world's specialist centre for (re)insurance.
Lloyd's will be known around the world for its integrity and will be a place where talented, diverse and socially responsible employees feel proud to work. This leadership role will practice and promote the principles of inclusive leadership and respect the value of diversity.
The overall objective of the Data Scientist is to analyse the financial performance of Lloyd's at class of business, syndicate and market level, develop predictive statistical models and techniques to better understand performance and lead the implementation of these new models in to the Performance Management teams.
What Will You Do?
- Identify and lead opportunities to develop new methods of understanding the key drivers of performance of Lloyd's business
- recommend new tools and methods of analysis to senior managers that can improve the divisions understanding of both past and potential future performance and improve the prudential oversight of the Lloyd's market
- working across multiple teams as required to create working prototypes and proof of concepts for new models that provide meaningful insight into underwriting and financial performance
- use strategic tools and techniques for delivering these insights to the business teams in Performance Management, Market Reserving and Capital and Risk that may use these new tools
- working with Data Lab, IT and Change to manage any projects that are required to implement the new models into production
- launch new tools and methods of analysis to the relevant business teams
- Provide training and support to users of new models and analysis methods to ensure that underwriting performance tools are understood consistently across the relevant user groups
- Understand the methodologies used in PMD for monitoring and predicting performance and support the parameterisation, further development and maintenance with Data lab and IT where required E.g. PI pack, Planning Support Tool and On levelling toolset
- Provide daily operational support to meet Class of Business (COB) data output requirements
- Run COB reports to meet department deadlines
- Quality check the report output and be responsible for on-time delivery
- Document the processes and procedures used to create the data outputs
- Support and educate users of the COB report output
- Trouble-shoot data anomalies
- Use trusted data sets in reporting outputs
- Keeping at the forefront of data analysis, modelling, tools and techniques to ensure that own skills and our methods of modelling and analysis are current and fit for purpose
- Understanding and keeping abreast of trends and performance issues in the wider insurance industry and macro-economic environment to make sure that Lloyd's trends are considered and investigated
- Present results of analysis to a variety of audiences, both internal and external, with differing levels of experience and knowledge of both data science (and tools and techniques) and insurance
- Work closely with business partners in the Data Lab team to ensure that data analysis completed by that team is provided to Performance Management in an accurate and timely manner meeting business needs and requirements
- Act as a champion for statistical analysis in the Performance Management Division, Data lab and Data Science/actuarial community at Lloyd's providing training in modelling, languages (for example R) technical and research activities and sharing knowledge in formal and informal ways
- Completion of periodic reporting on risk appetites, and other portfolio and performance metrics as needed
- Provide ad hoc support and analysis to the Head of Class of Business, the PMD senior team and the Performance Management Director on statistical analysis as required
- The role holder will combine the skills of a statistician, data modeller and storyteller to extract and communicate insight from data
- Data modelling skills are required in order to manipulate data and undertake advanced statistical analysis
- Creative thinking, the ability to analyse, infer solutions, detect patters in data, problem solve and clearly articulate concepts and cogently recommend solutions, evidence of which might include blog posts, publications, participation in open source projects etc.
- Presentation skills, demonstrating the ability to present the results of complex analytical output to a variety of audiences with different levels of technical knowledge and experience
- The ability to create reports and queries using Business Objects, Qlik and/or similar reporting tools
- Good time management skills demonstrating an ability to deal with a regular work load and associated deadlines, and other ad-hoc tasks
- Advanced knowledge, understanding and expertise in statistical and machine learning techniques, e.g. multivariate regression, Bayesian inference / networks and generalized linear models etc.
- Knowledge of computer software used to manipulate and analyse large volumes of data
- Basic to intermediate level knowledge of insurance principles and practices, as well as practices specific to the London/Lloyd's markets
- An expert in the field of statistical and business analysis
- Expertise with building and querying data sets and statistical software, in particular R and SQL
- Experience in summarising and conveying complex processes and solution to audiences with varying levels of technical knowledge
We are committed to flexible working, therefore if you would like to consider this as a part-time opportunity, please email
At Lloyd's we believe that innovation comes from having an inclusive culture of equality and diversity. We use ClearTalents to discover how we might help you feel welcomed, supported and able to do as well as you can when applying to work for us, including identifying any reasonable adjustments that we may need to make. Should you feel that you require reasonable adjustments during your application process we request that you please follow this link to create a ClearTalents user profile: