£30,000 - £40,000 (depending on experience)
Full time / Permanent
Reporting to: Operations Director
Focusing in the domestic and commercial insurance market, our client, a construction company, works with some of the biggest insurance and claims management companies in the UK. With specialist services and their own in-house trade teams, they deal with everything from complete rebuilds and refurbishments of both commercial and residential properties.
Established in 1985, they aim to drive growth over the next few years by investing in their most important asset, their people. They want team members who are keen on developing higher levels of service through their own personal development, something they invest heavily in and which is demonstrated by their Investors in People and Chartered Building status. They are also in the process of becoming NHBC registered.
The motivation of our client is simple - to establish and grow a high-end Welsh building services provider with year-on year-growth, delivering building repairs through a team of highly skilled and qualified professionals, within specific market sectors demanding high levels of service.
Our client requires a Construction Estimator / Quantity Surveyor who will be based in Cardiff. Reporting to the Operations Director.
You will be preparing quotations and tenders, along with supporting the Managing Director.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Oversee general Pre-contract procurement and tendering documentation. To prepare detailed bills of quantities for tender opportunities that maximise our chance of a winning bid. Ensure timely submission of bids and valuations.
- To prepare estimating packages for sub contract enquiry. Preparing tender/estimates ready, including any taking-off as necessary, to create a comprehensive priced document, on time for submission in a competitive tendering process.
- Ensure the accurate and timely evaluation and agreement of final quantities.
- Ensure cash flow is maximised including ensuring payments are received on time, including checking of sub-contractor invoices.
- Ensure that good records are kept and identify additional entitlement under contracts in order that the full entitlement under the contract is achieved. Liaise with the client and site teams and take the lead with contract administration.
- Ensure that the delivery team are briefed and have sufficient commercial support to monitor and react to budget variances.
- Consider and advise upon ‘best value' procurement options and present to the Project Manager for consideration.
- Preparation of monthly management and financial performance reports.
- Procurement and management of subcontract packages. Manage and procure all required Contractual Appointments and Warranties from supply chain as required.
- Identifying, analysing and developing responses to commercial risks, including evaluating risks and reviewing a project risk register.
- Assist with preparation of contractual claims.
- Working with the operational teams to deliver and manage performance against the Profit Improvement Plan. Establish with the Project Manager the project priorities in respect of quality, time and cost. Manage commercial performance against business targets and KPI's.
- Assisting in managing commercial aspects associated with construction projects as part of a team. Promote a culture of integration, continuous improvement and use of best practice across the client base.
- Ensure that the group commercial policies are adhered to and that the requirements of legislation are met.
- Attend monthly cost meetings
- To attend and contribute to regular meetings
- To participate in appraisal process
- To follow and abide by policies and procedures at all times including Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities and Confidentiality
- To undertake any other duties that may be required as deemed appropriate
- Able to undertake cost studies to consider all options in order to proceed with the optimum scheme.
- Understands the purpose and approach for preparing a basis of estimate, such as preparing complete quantity take-offs, analysis, estimate, and studies for all items incorporated in the assigned scope.
- Understanding and communicating risk associated with design proposals when producing cost estimates.
- Ability to interpret engineering / architecture drawings, understanding the implicit construction methodologies and techniques.
- Have a basic understanding of the relationships between the project controls functions - estimating, planning/scheduling, and cost control.
- Understand the relationship between the project estimate, project breakdown framework, and project schedule.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
The person will ideally come from a construction quantity surveying background or have experience of working for a main contractor as a cost manager/consultant. The incumbent must have the ability to interrogate and assess design proposals. This is well suited to someone who enjoys working in a dynamic and fast growing commercial company.
The Qualified Professional will have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Quantity Surveying or similar.
- Qualified professional with a minimum of 2-5 years of relevant experience preferred.
- Knowledge of MS Office suite. Experience with MS Project or Asta PowerProject preferred.
- Top applicants will possess excellent written, verbal, presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent planning and organisation skills required for our fast-paced environment.
- Must be motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
Please submit your CV and current contact details online today.