Teacher of ICT/Computing
7 days left
- Part Time
Red Balloon Cambridge – ICT Teacher Job Description
Job Title: Teacher of ICT/Computing
Salary/Hours: 2-3 days a week (including 2 weeks non contact)
38 weeks per year
Annual (FTE) salary of £21,864.
Pro-rated at 40% = £8,746
Pro-rated at 60% = £13,118
Responsible to: Coordinator, Curriculum Leader
Effective Date: 1st September 2018
Role and Context
The purpose of this role is to teach ICT and Computing (Coding) to students in KS3 and KS4, including to GCSE level.
We work with young people who have been severely bullied and/or experience high levels of anxiety about attending school. We provide a safe environment with clear boundaries for behaviour, and an individual full-time academic, pastoral and therapeutic programme. Once students have regained their confidence and are able to cope academically and socially, we support their return to mainstream school or college or into employment. It is important that the jobholder concurs with this aim.
Red Balloon – Cambridge offers places to a maximum of 17 full-time students. The teaching and support staff numbers up to 20 full and part-time staff, and there are usually up to five volunteers working during each week.
The ICT Teacher works closely with the Coordinator and Curriculum Leader, liaises with staff about the work that is required, is part of the staff team, is a participating member of the Red Balloon community, and develops a good relationship with parents/carers, volunteers and visitors
Other Job Information
Red Balloon and the Trustees will be accountable for all working arrangements and welfare provision. RBC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
- As a member of the teaching team:
- help design and implement a personal learning programme for each student through negotiation with the student and discussion with colleagues
- maintain records of lessons, outcomes and progress for each student
- advise and consult with colleagues, the Coordinators and others, discussing any concerns that arise and acting on any agreed decisions
- contribute to whole staff assessments of students’ social and emotional progress
- give feedback to parents and write achievement records for students as required, and attend parents’ consultations
- As a member member of staff:
- abide by and support the philosophy of Red Balloon
- cooperate with the other staff in the running of the Centre
- respond to any perceived need for in-service training
- attend staff meetings and INSET when possible
- Degree level education in relevant subject/s (desirable)
- Experienced teacher/tutor (essential)
- Teaching qualification (PGCE/QTS) or direct experience in teaching ICT/Computing (essential)
- Extensive subject knowledge (essential)
Skills/Knowledge (all essential)
- Current, or very recent, experience of teaching students in key stages 3 and 4, including National Curriculum and GCSE and related models of assessment
- Understanding of internet servers, laptops and other ICT equipment
- Familiarity with and ability to teach 2018/19 GCSE specification
- Experience of teaching students with a very wide range of abilities and interests, including SEND, using a variety of teaching styles
- Confidence to build upon students’ interests and ideas within a negotiated curriculum
- Ability to teach on a one-to-one basis and in small groups
- Very strong subject knowledge
- IT skills for teaching and record keeping
- Understanding the impact of emotional well-being upon a student’s ability to learn and vice versa
- Understanding of safeguarding and child protection regulations.
Manages personal priorities, pressures and workload in an efficient, calm, proactive and effective way. Maintains personal boundaries whilst remaining supportive of students with difficulties. Is able to problem solve.
Relishes working within a team. Listens to and communicates with individuals and groups professionally, clearly, and supportively. Is aware of the need for confidentiality, tact and sensitivity.
Equality and Diversity
Is constantly mindful of equality and diversity issues in providing services, and seeks to avoid discrimination.
Flexible and Adaptable
Responds positively and flexibly to unexpected changes in the routine of the Centre and to any new requests that may arise.
- The job specification details the main outcomes required and should only be updated to reflect major changes that impact on the outcomes for the job. Specific tasks, goals and performance criteria will be agreed through the Appraisal Scheme.
- All work performed/duties undertaken must be carried out in accordance with relevant Red Balloon policies and procedures, within legislation, and with regard to the needs of students, staff and parents.
- Appointment is subject to satisfactory DBS check and provision to two independent references, one from most recent employer.
- Post holders will be expected to be flexible in their duties and carry out any other duties commensurate with the grade and falling within the general scope of the job, as requested by Red Balloon.
- Previous applicants need not apply.
Please visit our website to download an application form.
Please let us know how you found out about this post.
CLOSING DATE for applications is 5pm on Thursday 23rd August. Shortlisted applicants will be notified on Friday 24th August and will be invited to an interview on Friday 31st August. Please keep the interview date free. Shortlisted applicants will be asked to prepare two lesson plans to present.
Red Balloon is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.