Technical Buyer / Procurement Manager / Purchasing Officer
Job Title: Technical Buyer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon (OX14)
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The Company aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies - spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company was originally established in 2009 to design and develop small Spherical Tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications. Since then, the strategy has evolved to prioritise building a pilot plant to exceed fusion energy breakeven.
They are currently looking for a Buyer to deal with purchasing and supplier management to ensure that quality, delivery & costs are achieved. The role requires the role holder to source new suppliers and manage the continuity of supply of materials.
- Determining, communicating and delivering purchasing requirements within timescales
- Securing suitable suppliers in terms of quality, deliverability and value
- Work with suppliers to ensure quality standards are maintained, resulting in minimising internal quality inspection
- Obtain competitive quotations with favourable terms
- Manage the supplier database reviewing preferred and nominated suppliers and ad-hoc purchases
- Liaise with the accounts department regarding supplier invoice queries to ensure the purchase to pay process is clear to eliminate invoice processing delays.
- Attending project meetings
- Produce reports such as supplier KPI trackers and supplier delivery performance
- Act as point of contact for all delivery related communications.
- Confirm all material deliveries are achieved
- Be responsible for delivery file management and document control
- Review purchase costs ensuring volume discounts, where appropriate
- Regularly meet with key suppliers
- Work on ad-hoc procurement projects as required
Personal Skills and Attributes:
- High level of attention to detail and well organised
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise workload
- Proactive, methodical, practical and persistent
- Able to work well under pressure
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Works well as a team
- Microsoft Office suite proficient
- CIPS Diploma in procurement and supply - Level 4 would be desirable
Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience of working in a purchasing role in an engineering environment is advantageous but not essential
- 25 Days Holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme: Company contribution of 5% of salary after 3 months' service
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years' service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months' service
- Childcare voucher scheme
Candidates with experience of: Purchasing Manager, Procurement Officer, Buyer, Purchaser, Buying Advisor, Buying Assistant, Purchasing Advisor, Procurement Advisor, Purchasing Consultant, Buying Consultant, Procurement Consultant, Assistant Procurement Officer, Assistant Buyer, Assistant Purchaser Supply Chain Administrator, Purchasing, Assistant Buyer, Supply Chain Graduate, Procurement Assistant, Buying Assistant, Supply Chain Assistant may also be considered for this role.