Lab technician required to work in the contract microbiology laboratory working on a rotating shift (07:00 – 15:30 / 08:00-16:30/11:00 – 19:30) plus weekend work. This is a 6 month fixed term contract with the possibility to extend.
Overview of Role and Responsibilities:
- To perform a variety of routine analyses in the analytical laboratory, to required standards, to meet all internal and external quality regulations which are measured through external independent audit (UKAS) and participation in external laboratory competency testing
- Preparation of microbiological media.
- Preparation of sample kits for clients and subsequent testing.
- Assist in the logging in and sorting of incoming samples onto laboratory computer systems.
- Participation in laboratory proficiency testing schemes as required by the management.
- Performing environmental monitoring within the laboratory
- To assist in ensuring that there are adequate stocks of media, reagents and consumables in the laboratory by liaising with other staff and alerting the Laboratory Operations/Quality Manager of low stock levels.
- To undertake any other duties that are relevant to the laboratory, testing or are deemed reasonable by the management.
- Ensure compliance with all H&S legislation.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Higher education qualification in biological sciences preferably microbiology.
- Previous work experience in a microbiology laboratory or medical environment preferable.
- Good microbiological bench and interpretative skills.
- Proficient computer skills in Excel, Word, Outlook and LIMS systems.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a willingness to work harmoniously within a small team.
- Excels at operating in a fast pace, laboratory/medical environment.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Ability to look at situations from several points of view.
- Good attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills
Please apply online and send your current CV / Cover Letter and any further documents supporting your application.
Orange Recruitment is advertising this position on behalf of our client. By clicking apply you accept that your application will be forwarded to only this client in order for them to consider you for the role.