Innovation & Research Manager
6 days left
- Full Time
UK COMMUNITY WORKS CIC
Innovation & Research Manager (Cornwall New Energy)
UK Community Works CIC is a social enterprise set up to help build local community resilience, and to develop and pilot the tools that enable local communities and businesses to become more self sufficient and sustainable. Community Works is helping to deliver Cornwall New Energy (CNE), a part-funded ERDF project providing support to businesses, social enterprises and community groups that want to generate renewable energy and improve their energy and environmental performance ; as well as SME suppliers of innovative products, technologies and services relevant to this sector.
To support the development of this project we are looking for candidates based in or prepared to travel and work as required in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly for the following role:
Innovation & Research Manager (Cornwall New Energy) - 6 month contract (potential for extension) - Part time (minimum 7.5 hours per week)
This is a key position in our young company, and requires very specific/relevant innovation, research and business experience to support its development. The role will involve both innovation research, as well as business development and specialist support to eligible SMEs in the CNE project. Key tasks and responsibilities will include - research and develop key innovation themes for the CNE project ; support and develop the CNE project's innovation clusters ; assess and support the business and technology innovation needs of local businesses ; and undertake administrative and compliance duties associated with the company's activities.
We are looking for an experienced and entrepreneurial business, innovation and research manager, educated to degree or equivalent standard. You will need past experience of EU (or similar) funded research and innovation projects and support to SMEs ; a detailed understanding of the low carbon sector; and technical and commercial knowledge of existing and emerging energy systems and markets.
Candidates will need to demonstrate:
1) Good knowledge and understanding of renewable energy, low carbon construction and related sectors
2) Particular knowledge of innovative products, technologies and services in the LCEGS sectors
3) Experience of supporting SME businesses to identify challenges and opportunities and support them to develop and grow
4) Understanding and experience of the UK research ecosystem, and energy research and innovation in particular
5) Experience of developing and managing Innovation Clusters or similar innovation groupings and networks
6) Experience of securing funding for research and business development and subsequent project delivery
7) Good team working skills and experience, with delivery of results in a busy, pressurised environment
8) Experience of development and implementation of complex, multi-stakeholder projects
9) Good oral, written, presentation and negotiation skills
The role may require travel throughout Cornwall and potentially to the Isles of Scilly. There is potential for the role to expand to other regions, and projects, in the UK in due course.
The deadline for applications is 24th August 2018.
Reference CW / CNE /18 / 2
A full job description will be provided to applicants in advance of an interview.
Salary offered is competitive and negotiable.
Flexible working hours
Start Date - as soon as possible after recruitment process is completed.
We are unable to respond to all applications. If you are successful, we will contact you by 29th August 2018.
The project has received funding from the England European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014- 2020. The Department for Communities and Local Government (and in London the intermediate body Greater London Authority)is the Managing Authority for European Regional Development Fund. Established by the European Union, the European Regional Development Fund helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations. For more information visit
Apply for Innovation & Research Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly