Copy Editor / Editor - XML-based publishing (Hebden Bridge)
Our client's Legal organisation focuses on connecting our customers' businesses to the ever-changing legal and regulatory environment. They provide critical online and print information, decision support tools, software and services to lawyers who practice in law firms.
We are looking for a Copy Editor or someone with an interest in Editorial/Publishing to manage the editorial process on books and looseleaf services, for both print and online outputs, to agreed deadlines and cost limit.
Experience of XML Publishing systems would be ideal but not essential.
Role Purpose/ Summary:
To manage the editorial process on books and looseleaf services, for both print and online outputs, to agreed deadlines and cost limits.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Project management of titles, from manuscript handover to publication in all media outputs.
- Using XML-based multi-media publishing systems.
- Copyediting and proof checking.
- Establishing, maintaining and enhancing author relations.
- To liaise as appropriate with Editorial Managers/Team Leaders, Publishers, Authors, Editorial support staff, Production, Data Delivery Department, Digital Products and Marketing so that the editorial process takes place smoothly and efficiently, and to report as appropriate on progress.
- To achieve the required standards of quality, time control and cost:
- Quality - To maintain good standards in mark up and corrections for both own and freelanced work
- Time - To maintain the production schedule as agreed for all products. To provide the earliest possible warning of schedule slippage, and to work with freelancers, Authors, Editorial Managers/Team Leaders and Production to recover lost time and prevent further slippage as far as possible.
- Cost - To understand and achieve budgeted controllable cost variances, particularly on looseleaf titles. To manage and control corrections so as to minimise extra costs. To deal proactively with potential cost variances caused outside the Commentary Department.
- To achieve the required level of self management of priorities and workload.
- To establish and maintain good working relationships with team members, colleagues from other departments, authors and freelances.
Mandatory Skills and Experience:
- Computer literacy
- Xml experience
Please apply for immediate consideration.