Business Development Estimator
1 day left
- Full Time
Business Development Estimator
REPORTS TO: Business Development Director
LOCATION: By negotiation - Coventry or Weston Super Mare preferred, London considered
Our client is the largest European green services provider employing 2,500 staff across the UK and with a current annual UK turnover of £120m and a forward order book of £600m. They operate in highly competitive market sectors where winning new business and service provision requires not only high levels of operational competency but also high levels of ability in written presentation, numeracy, IT skills and academic achievement. Our client has an excellent track record in winning new business and prides itself on the high quality of tender responses it provides.
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
To play an integral role in our clients competitive tendering process through taking ownership and control of the bespoke estimating model; manipulating and interrogating data and applying commercial interpretation skills to tender information in order to gain competitive edge and secure the company's new business targets.
Upon contract award, facilitate handover to operational colleagues by assisting with interpretation, transfer of data into financial, quality and planning systems.
Data analysis and interrogation
- Read and interpret tender specifications and create associated base estimating model (from master bespoke estimating model)
- Absorb all the information within the bills of quantities and/or site maps and interpret into a format that accurately reflects the numbers associated with that particular tender exercise
- Identify and model any opportunities for competitive edge, including the evaluation methodology provided by each client
- Become fully acquainted with the unique aspects of each tender, specifically quantities, costs and the associated economics of both
- Conduct site visits and seek out and learn from internal knowledge experts as necessary to strengthen model validity and create further opportunities for the tender submission
- Presentation of tender estimating model at pricing meetings
- On-going manipulation, development and refinement of the tender model in line with the tactical and strategic stance for that particular tender
- Monitor the effectiveness of the model, improving as necessary to ensure fit for purpose
- Create and maintain relationships at all levels across the company for specific tendering processes and to enhance the opportunity to develop the business further
- Manage stakeholders at a senior level
- Manage and respond to the conflicting views and interpretations of stakeholders in a tender process e.g. Operations
- Complete comprehensive handovers to Operations on contract award
- Liaise with support departments, particularly HR and Finance in order to access knowledge and information to enhance and keep current the tender model
- Liaise with external estimating and technical partner and consultants as needed
- To actively contribute to Business Development and Business objectives
- To play a key role in the development of the Business Development team, its systems and strategy in accordance with Business objectives
- To provide internal training on the use of the Estimating Model
- Explore, evaluate and implement as needed, any new software/technology that will increase accuracy and competitiveness in tenders
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Accurate completion and submission of tenders meeting both internal and external deadlines
- Maintain our average tender success rate of 40% (by value)
- Maintain our current position of having no loss-making contracts, with actual margins at or close to the tendered margins
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills including Developer skills and advanced data handling
- Ability to assimilate and interpret large quantities of information (in different formats)
- GIS skills would be helpful
- A commercial outlook
- Strong relationship building skills
- Previous experience of developing complex Excel-based models, either within an estimating role, financial or other role necessitating advanced data management.
- Commercial experience of analysing data to identify opportunities for competitive edge, margin improvement.
- Experience of receiving input from different internal sources and being able to mould into the optimum solution for the business
- Demonstrable work experience within a fast-paced business environment
- Analytical with high level of attention to detail
- Aptitude to learn
- High level of enthusiasm
- Calm and well-organised, able to self-manage workload
- Able to work under pressure to immovable deadlines
- Team player
Please apply online and send your current CV / Cover Letter and any further documents supporting your application.
Orange Recruitment is advertising this position on behalf of our client. By clicking apply you accept that your application will be forwarded to only this client in order for them to consider you for the role.
Apply for Business Development Estimator
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly