Football Live Blogger Writer
3 days left
- Full Time
The Manchester Evening News is seeking to recruit a Football Live Blogging and Trending writer to join the team to create United and City content that fans want to devour.
This exciting opportunity is an excellent platform to display your work for a website which has in excess of 70 million pages view a month. Everyone covers United and City but not to the brilliant extent we do at the Manchester Evening News.
Reporting to Audience Build Editor Football, you will create compelling and engaging content. You'll be bursting with ideas which embrace the best of digital journalistic practice and make sure the MEN keeps ahead of our rivals.
We want you to innovate and take our coverage to the next level.
- Work quickly and responsively to create engaging content around topics which are trending, creatively and proactively suggesting ideas as well as responding to real-time analytics, trends and searches
- Research audience trends and search habits around key themes and events to produce content around the right search terms and in formats which drive the greatest response
- Monitor social media to spot and capitalise on content opportunities around trending stories and topics in a way which maximises audience engagement
- Contribute to and maintaining forward planning calendars for content based around audience activity, fixtures, players and trends, updating annually and adding new ideas as required
- Generate original content that supporters will care about. Researching stories and features to create this content
- Use search and social to inform content choices
- Work closely with Reach Plc group experts and learning from shared best practice to drive the largest possible audience
- Take a proactive approach to learning new skills and storytelling techniques
- Look beyond traditional sports stories and consider 'off the pitch' issues that fans care about
- Produce evergreen content that will bring in a regular audience
- Write about multiple topics and stories across the day, determined by the audience
- Use Buzzsumo, Google Trends and other audience tools to produce content with clear trending opportunities
The Ideal Candidate
- A Reach Plc or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience)
- Understanding of the football audience
- Proven digital and storytelling skills including experience of using web publishing systems.
- A strong understanding of SEO techniques and the ability to use these to identify digital audience
- A self-starter
- Ability to use and apply learning through digital analytics
- Flexibility, creativity, flair and a willingness to innovate
- A positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure
- Excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated, highly organised and able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
In addition to competitive salaries, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc offer a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets & parking loans and an employee assistance programme.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.