Assistant Financial Accountant
Assistant Financial Accountant
Ofcom is the independent regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries. We regulate the TV, radio, fixed-line telecoms, mobile telecoms and postal sectors, plus the radio spectrum which enables wireless devices to operate.
What you will be doing
Financial Accounting and Control
- Perform the financial accounting and related monthly processes to ensure timely and accurate monthly and annual reporting;
- Ensure accurate and timely financial information is maintained through the monthly balance sheet reconciliations and preparation of appropriate journals and resolving queries
- Provision of relevant and timely financial accounting and control reporting to management;
- Preparation of supporting schedules and analysis as part of the year-end audit.
- Ensure compliance with the organisation’s accounting policies and internal controls;
- Complete monthly VAT files and quarterly VAT returns, including Reverse Charge;
- Complete monthly Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) files and returns;
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of the Fixed Asset register including disposals, additions, transfers of assets and depreciation run;
- Reconciliation of Fixed Asset register to asset management system and liaise with business to resolve any mismatches;
- Support as necessary various ad-hoc projects;
- Support the financial control aspects of the accounting system (SAP) including access, permissions, delegation of authority approvals, segregation of duties, financial period close and chart of accounts maintenance.
- Comply with all relevant Ofcom policy and procedures and behavioural competencies
- Ensuring health and safety policy and procedures are adhered
- Complete any other ad-hoc requests that are in line with your skill and capability.
Essential Skills / Experience
- Appreciation of and desire to promote Ofcom's values of excellence, agility, empowerment and collaboration
- Experience in Financial Accounting
- Knowledge of current IFRS and latest related developments
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience of SAP or another ERP system
- Experience of reviewing and developing internal controls, policies and procedures
- Experience of working with data
Desirable Skills / Experience
- Good understanding of accounting systems and ability to act as technical ‘super user’ for Finance
- Auditing experience
- Willing to continuously learn and add to knowledge and technical base and skills
- Effective communicator and collaborator within and outside of Finance team
- Proactive in setting and achieving goals, strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Deadline focused, able to multi-task, plan and work effectively with little direction
- Problem solver, with the ability to constructively listen, identify, develop and consistently following through well thought out solutions to sometimes complex problems
- Work with a ‘customer-service’ focus, and is willing to challenge the efficiency of processes and provide advice on best practice
- Part qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA/ACMA) and studying towards qualification
The closing date for applications is the 31st July 2018. This role is available on a full or part time basis.
To apply for the role of Assistant Financial Accountant, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Assistant Financial Accountant, Financial Accountant, Assistant Accountant, Assistant Management Accountant, Accountant, Part Qualified Accountant, Auditor, Accounting, Finance, Financial.