£18,864 per annum. This is a permanent full-time position. The role offers an excellent working environment and benefits package including 34 days annual leave, plus bank holidays.
Cardiff University Students’ Union (CUSU) has a vision of working with every Cardiff student to enhance their university experience. As a student-led, independent part of the university, CUSU represents students and provides a diverse and inclusive range of activities and services that enrich student life. These include advice, training, skills development, volunteering opportunities, employment and other services that promote inclusion, friendship and personal development. CUSU supports over 200 student societies and 60 sports clubs that boast more than 10,000 members.
CUSU is also the recognised voice of students at Cardiff University, joining students in campaigning about the issues important to them. The trading subsidiary of CUSU, Cardiff Union Services Limited, manages a purpose built facility in the centre of Cardiff and operates cafes, shops, bars and events that help fund CUSU’s charitable activities. CUSU is based on Park Place and at the Heath Park campus, employing over 100 permanent staff and 300 student staff. The organisation was ranked in the top 100 of the Sunday Times Best Not-for-profit Companies to Work For, as well as holding Gold status through Investors in People. CUSU aspires to have a positive impact on the wider community in Cardiff and is consistently graded the number one Students’ Union in Wales and in the top ten in the UK for student satisfaction.
The Students’ Union has put volunteering at the heart of its strategy and wants to ensure that as many students as possible at Cardiff University will be engaged in volunteering, skills development or business enterprise whilst at university. The Student Volunteering department was created in 2015 to meet these objectives, support the Union’s new, independent, volunteer-led charity – Cardiff Volunteering – and to embed the culture of volunteering into the rest of the organisation’s student activities. The department also maintains a volunteering bureau so that the Students’ Union can match volunteers with other local charities and community organisations.
Cardiff University students are intelligent, capable and motivated and we want to ensure that the Students’ Union can provide stimulating activities to support their own experiential learning and personal development. The Volunteering Department will provide a structure where volunteers can generate ideas, develop and run their own volunteer projects and build relationship with people and organisations in the community.
We are seeking a Volunteering Coordinator to take on an active role in the development and support of voluntary projects within Cardiff Volunteering. The Coordinator will work alongside a team to directly and closely engage with students to develop, plan, execute and review a wide range of volunteer projects, offering long term, short term and taster opportunities to students. We also work with local partners to place students into opportunities within the local area.
The responsibilities will include:
- To liaise with community partners to support opportunities
- To support students to plan and execute volunteering projects
- To promote volunteering opportunities face-to-face, over the phone and via social media and our web presence
- To register and induct students into opportunities
- To provide training to students engaged as participants or leaders in activities
- To monitor and supervise activities, ensuring they operate within recognised best practice
- To support the broad activities of Cardiff Volunteering
Within our exciting organisation, you will find the opportunities to further your career with a world-class team. Our employees have access to membership of a competitive pension plan and excellent training and development opportunities. All this and more makes Cardiff University Students’ Union the perfect place to continue your professional journey.
The successful candidate will have an understanding of and experience in working with or as a volunteer. They will understand the motivations and challenges that individuals including students will face as volunteers and will be able to harness and support volunteers to achieve and excel.
You will need to have:
- Experience of working as or with volunteers
- Experience of delivering training
- Experience of leading volunteering and fundraising events
- Ability to provide effective support and guidance to volunteers
- Ability to manage information and resources in an effective and efficient manner
- Ability to understand the motivations and challenges volunteers experience
We are also looking for individuals who have:
- Experience of managing volunteers
- Ability to communicate through medium of Welsh
- Experience of community volunteering activity
- Relevant training, for example, First Aid, Child Protection, Train the Trainer and Health and Safety
- Experience of producing effective social media and website marketing content
Please email to apply.
Please note, we reserve the right to close or extend this position depending on application numbers. Therefore we would urge candidates to submit an application as early as possible.
Applications should be made on the organisation’s own Application Form, NOT a CV
The closing date for this position is Tuesday 24th July 2018 at 5pm.
Interviews will take place Monday 6th August 2018.