Principal Engineer (E&A)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Primetals Technologies Ltd is a leader in the design & supply of equipment & project implementation within the global metallurgical industries. We currently have an opportunity for an enthusiastic & highly motivated, degree qualified, principal electrical & automation engineer with good all round experience in industrial applications.
The role will be based in UK, Stockton office. Whilst our primary technologies are focused on the design, supply & construction of Iron & Steel production/processing equipment & experience within this field would be a distinct advantage, consideration will be given to candidates with exceptional skillsets from other industrial sectors.
You will have excellent communication skills & be able to work effectively in a team environment or independently as required. As such, you will be self-starting with a calm but reliable approach when working under pressure. The company is in the midst of an exciting transformation programme which will benefit candidates that can be flexible, resourceful & adaptable to change.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY / TASKS:
- Prepare detailed cost and man-hour estimates based on basic Drive List and PID information.
- Prepare basic Electrical & Automation equipment specifications for enquiry / tender purposes.
- Preparation of tender documentation, written specifications and scope of work documents.
- Attend client / contractor meetings on an Electrical & Automation basis
- Prepare detailed Electrical & Automation documentation including Equipment Lists (Automation, Electrical & Instrument Summaries), Equipment specifications, MCC & Power Distribution SLDs, MCC Schematics, Motor/Load List, Calculations (Fault, Load, Earthing or use of appropriate software), Relay section and Process interlocking diagrams, Cable & termination schedules
- Prepare detailed information for purchase of Electrical & Automation equipment, review vendor suitability and carry out detailed technical bid analysis leading to final vendor selection.
- Lead range of projects [small to large scopes]
- Site survey work
- Review of installation contractors
- Supervision of installation sub-contractors at site during installation and commissioning.
- Carry out commissioning of Electrical & Automation equipment.
Knowledge & Skills
- Good all round knowledge of Electrical & Automation requirements for heavy engineering
- Good knowledge of Electrical, Instrumentation & Automation engineering
- Good understanding of project management principles
- Good knowledge of various automation platforms, architecture configurations & hardware
- Good working knowledge & understanding of electrical & automation standards for example BS, IEC, NEMA, ISO and EU standards/directives including Machinery/LV/EMC
- Good working knowledge & understanding of design principles driven by guidelines eg ATEX, DSEAR & implication of SIL/PL for specifying equipment
- Background in both office design and site environments
- Computer literate with a sound working knowledge of MS Word, Access, Excel
- Knowledge specifically gained in the Iron & Steel sector
- Knowledge particularly Siemens, Rockwell (AB), Honeywell automation systems of would be an advantage
- Use, working knowledge & understanding of MS Access or other dBase platforms
- Use, working knowledge & understanding of CAD packages eg 2D ACAD, CADWorx PID, EPlan or others
- Can demonstrate a proven track record in a breadth of projects & responsibilities undertaken in both office & site environments
- Lead engineering roles previously
EDUCATIONAL / PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS (IF ANY):
- HND/Degree preferred but higher levels of experience without these will be viewed positively
Additional Requirements / Comments:
International work assignments are a mandatory component of the role, hence, candidate must be willing to work within an office or site environment in the UK or international location a driving license would be a necessary requirement.
Membership to appropriate professional institute are encouraged & chartership would be viewed as an advantage in conjunction with the other requirements.