Graduate Level Legal Editor
Our client's legal organisation focuses on connecting their customers' businesses to the ever-changing legal and regulatory environment. They provide critical online and print information, decision support tools, software and services to lawyers who practice in law firms, in corporate legal departments and in the public sector.
Position Title: Editor
Position Type: Full time
Location: Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Yorkshire - commutable within an hour from Leeds and Manchester
Duration: Until the end of December initially - there is a possibility that the role could be extended based on a budget review at the end of the year.
Reporting to an Editorial Team Manager and working as part of the cross-site Cases Departmnet, the Editor role primarily involves selecting key cases according to defined criteria and writing digests of those judgments, ensuring the ratio and obiter are concise and clear. Checking and proofing digests written by others is also a key component of the role. The work is subject to tight deadlines (including same day reporting) for loading digests and full text to to various portals known throughout the legal world.
Operational Editorial tasks
- Select cases for reporting according to their reporting criteria.
- Prepare good quality case digests from transcripts and law reports, to be completed within specified deadlines with correct interpretation of the key issues and legal concepts and clear writing style, meeting specified deadlines and following Legal UKI house style.
- Check and edit content for correct legal analysis and application of house style, including consistent use of subjects, keywords and case/legislation citations, meeting specified deadlines and following Legal UKI house style.
- Ensure consistent use of their taxonomy across all cases.
- Note and observe case reporting restrictions and anonymity requirements.
- Maintain an excellent level of customer service - taking proactive ownership for answering customer and colleague queries fully, quickly and effectively.
- Provide feedback for other members of the team as required.
- Provide cover for other members of the team as required.
- Provide editorial support for the publication of case products as required.
- Achieve the required level of self-management of priorities and workload.
- Provide editorial input into projects and research initiatives as required.
- Support ongoing maintenance and development of department culture.
Mandatory Skills and Experience:
- Computer literate and able to understand new technical processes quickly
- Excellent written communication, grammar and general editorial skills
- Ability to clearly and concisely analyse and interpret key issues and legal concepts and present them in a logical fashion
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to self-motivate, work autonomously and as part of a cross-site team to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams
- Understanding of the relationship dynamic between quality and what the market is willing to pay for
- Ability to complete work accurately and to tight deadlines
- Good time management and organisation skills
- Results oriented with a commitment to quality
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Editorial experience working with case material (or comparable experience)
- Understanding of editorial processes and technology underlying those processes
- An understanding of customer requirements and the ability to balance those requirements with the needs of the business
- Proven ability in problem solving
- Proactive in knowledge sharing
Education/ Certifications Required:
- Law degree or CPE - essential
- BVC/LPC - desirable
- Practice experience - desirable
Apply for Graduate Level Legal Editor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly