We are looking to recruit a Data Scientist to join our Business Intelligence and Information System Team at the college. Ayrshire College is increasingly collecting and using data to support and improve the performance of the college and its students. This is an exciting opportunity for a data scientist to make a valuable contribution within the public sector which will have real social and economic benefit. The successful candidate will be responsible for enhancing our work in learning and predictive analytics to increase student retention and success.
In the role you will carry out detailed interrogation and analysis of the College’s business processes, critical workflow pathways and technological/information systems in order to identify where improvements can be recommended in support of business objectives and organisational efficiency. This will involve supporting the development and maintenance of a data management strategy and data retention schedule to ensure that the College meets the requirements of all relevant legislation covering the use of data and information.
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent, with demonstrable experience of developing innovative and creative solutions to achieve organisational objectives within a business Intelligence and Systems environment. You will also have excellent analytical, problem solving, and communication skills coupled with the ability to work autonomously or as part of a team.
In addition, you will possess the following skills and expertise:
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to influence colleagues
- Expertise in computer programming (Python, R, SQL, or C#)
- Experience and skill in SQL, data warehousing and BI tools (eg Qlik, Power BI)
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and software applications SAS, R, R Studio
- The ability to solve problems by applying data science techniques
- The ability to communicate complex analysis and data in a clear and concise manner, often to a non-technical audience
- The ability to work confidently with a wide range of managers, staff and external customers and build successful working relationships within short timescales.