News and social media editor
Closing date: 17/07/2018
Are you an experienced news editor who can whiz through copy and make it sing?
Can you spot a rising trend a mile off and make it fly?
Surrey Live is looking for a skilled, hard-working news and social media editor to join its Guildford-based team.
Reporting to the editor, you'll be a lover of words and local journalism and will be responsible for helping to lead our reporters and making their copy irresistible.
About the company
Reach plc (Formerly Trinity Mirror plc) has an award-winning portfolio of newspapers, websites and digital products, and is one of the UK's largest multimedia companies employing over six thousand people across more than sixty locations around the country.
- Editing and publishing content, ensuring it is high quality, thoroughly researched, accurate and well written
- Managing and mentoring our team of reporters to ensure they are producing high-quality content on a daily basis
- Coming up with lots of ideas to ensure our content is always of the highest possible standard
- Identifying trends and pitching stories informed by what is engaging well on social media
- Meticulously managing a diary to ensure all key meetings and stories are covered
- Using analytics to commission content responsively and to identify how stories should be presented and when they should be published to gain the biggest possible audience
- Sharing our stories on social media in line with audience spikes, helping to increase our social media audience and ensuring our content is getting maximum referrals
- Forward planning social media content and coverage
- Monitoring social media analytics and producing regular reports
- Leading by example and writing brilliant content
- Ensuring you have a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and industry guidelines
The Ideal Candidate
You will ideally be an existing news/content editor or a talented senior reporter looking for an exciting new challenge. With proven experience in a digital newsroom you'll have an excellent understanding of all the storytelling requirements of one. Along with this, you will regularly come up with brilliant ideas for engaging and shareable content and have an excellent awareness of the news agenda and collaborate to ensure all sections of the site are covered with breaking and engaging stories.
You will be motivated by the challenge of producing stories ready for digital audience spike. Coupled with an excellent background working with social media platforms and have in-depth knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Flickr and Tumblr. With some experience of managing, motivating and inspiring a team, you'll demonstrate excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
You'll be able to work on a seven-day rota, ensuring the best news coverage for the county, possess a full driving licence and hold an NCTJ-accredited journalism qualification.
This is an exciting and demanding role which requires an editorial background. This job involves shift work, including evenings and weekends. Hours will vary, but candidates must be flexible.
You can look forward to a salary of £26,000 pa and a contributory pension scheme.
Reach plc also offers a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets & parking loans and an employee assistance programme.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process.