Future Leaders - Commercial Graduates Programme (x 2)
As part of their growth and development, FalFish want to invest in 2 ambitious, exceptional and committed graduates with the ability to hold a business conversation in French, Spanish and/or Italian.
You will develop into our future leadership talent within our commercial department with opportunity to take on a leading post and grow and develop with the business. You will need to build an understanding of the business from strategy level right down to the operational details. In return for your vision, drive, passion and ambition, we will help you manage your career towards taking up significant responsibility within 5 years and you could be taking up a Directorship within 10 years.
It’s a fast-paced environment; no two days are the same – so you will need to be prepared to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in! To thrive, we need you to be able to excel practically in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- To gain a full overview and understanding of Falfish Ltd and the fishing industry
- Develop expertise in SW fisheries, species, catch methods, processing and directly contracted boats
- Enhance our existing UK and European customers
- Develop a new customer base across the UK, Europe and beyond in fresh and frozen fish products
- Train as a super user for the company’s management information system
What you can expect
This will be an individually tailored, 2 year talent development program exposing you to all areas of the business and each key department. You will cut your teeth and develop your skills in a junior leadership role, gain experience within several disciplines and deliver a number of real mini projects within each department.
Throughout this time, you will be mentored by a department manager who will work in conjunction with your line managers to ensure you realise your full potential. You will be provided with an induction buddy (for all the day-to-day questions). We are not expecting you to feel that you should know how to do everything – but we will want to see that you are confident enough to succeed with support. As you will see, our programme is about giving you genuine responsibilities and challenging assignments in the real commercial world, while offering practical development and learning opportunities.
Hands on the fish
3 - 4 months in the factory with at least 4 weeks on the filleting table and two weeks in scallop processing; getting hands on will give you fantastic knowledge of the processes behind the business. You will gain a full understanding of the craft, skills and graft involved, and be able to identify the fish species, the quality, yield and costs involved in our products, as well as meet and work with members of our wider team. If you’ve walked the walk, you’ll talk the talk.
Hand in the Market
3 - 4 months in the market every morning seeing the sales; understanding the key players and strategy, building relationships and knowledge as only bright, keen minds with determination and enthusiasm can! Couple this with the opportunity to support the Commercial Director on the fresh fish buying portal enabling you to see how we purchase UK and Europe wide.
Trading and Buying
3 – 6 months on the Trading Desk early every morning buying and selling; negotiating cost prices, evaluating the supplier and customer base, building strong working relationships with suppliers and customers, and driving revenue growth.
Commercial and Finance
For 3 months you will support and shadow the Commercial Director in developing the export business; you will get to grips with how the forecasting works, how business development is done and you will get direct experience of working with customers so that you completely understand the customer facing end of the business. You will then be able to work more accurately on understanding the costs, margins and forecasts going forwards and will develop an effective system for ensuring all product cost workings are up to date and accurate so that a reliable 12 month rolling forecast can underpin future financially focussed commercial business plans.
You will then start to operate as the day to day contact for trading customers both existing and new. You will develop new opportunities with new customers while maintaining and enhancing business with existing customers. You will work across fresh and frozen products across all export countries. You will attend commercial meetings in the UK and abroad and will take actions for these clients and make sure they are translated into the business operations.
Required Personal skills and qualifications:
- Degree/HND in a relevant subject area
- Ability to hold a business conversation in at least one of the following languages: French, Spanish, Italian (preference will be given in shortlisting to those with proficiency in two or more of these)
- A numerical and analytical mind, great commercial awareness and plenty of common sense
- Strong communication and negotiation skills and a strong customer focus – a genuine desire to work with other people in a positive, pro-active way
- The ability to manage and prioritise your workload in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent IT skills, including Word and Excel
- A hunger to drive your own career and become one of our stars of the future
- The sea fishing industry by its very nature cannot function on a 9 – 5 basis, therefore early starts and a flexible approach to finish times is required in order to meet production schedules and the demands of fishing vessels and clients alike. Hours of work will be Monday to Friday from 5am and will require the successful graduates to work every other Saturday on a rotational basis.
- Previous experience within the food sector
- Previous purchasing experience
- Previous sales or export experience
- Interest in the fisheries sector
- Understanding of key account management
- Understanding of sales presentation requirements
Falfish Ltd has been coined ‘the hidden pearl of Cornish businesses – Why? Because we have been quietly growing since 1979, to become Cornwall’s largest seafood processing operation with a multi-million pound turnover and delivering wholesale fish supplies across the UK and Europe. In this environmentally conscious market, sustainability is at the heart of our ethos; we only handle sustainably caught fish from well managed fisheries. The promotion of the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) and Responsible Fishing Scheme (RFS) accreditation is a priority for us at Falfish.
Other Application Details
In return, we offer an unrivalled benefits package which includes:
- £25,000 per annum
- 32 days Holiday
- Health Care
- Mobile Phone
- Training and Support
Please apply online via Unlocking Potential Jobs including an up to date CV and a cover letter/film, or other impressive mechanism, outlining why you feel you are the best possible person to take our business to the next level in the future.