Project Engineer / Development Engineer - HTS Magnet
Job Title: Magnet Project Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job Type: Full Time, Permanen
The Company aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies - spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. They are currently developing a series of technology demonstration prototypes, culminating in a pilot plant which will exceed fusion energy breakeven.
They are now expanding their HTS Engineering team, which is responsible for developing HTS plasma confinement magnet technology. An opportunity exists for a creative Engineer who is motivated to play a leading role in development of novel HTS magnet systems for fusion energy. Suitable candidates will have design/development experience in a mechanical, electrical or power electronics role in an industrial development or production environment.
- Design and development of small scale prototypes to demonstrate technology, hardware and methods needed to manufacture a large HTS magnet.
- Liaising with other engineers responsible for HTS magnet design, tokamak physics, cryogenics, and mechanical integration.
- Internally the post holder will report to the HTS Technology Development manager and liaise with Mechanical, Electrical and Design Engineers and Plasma Physicists working within the Company.
- Externally the post holder will liaise with manufacturers, component suppliers and technical consultants in industry and academia.
- The post will involve occasional travel within the UK and overseas.
- Engineering or Physics PhD or degree in Engineering or Physics, or equivalent industrial experience.
- At least three years' engineering experience of mechanical, electrical or electronic design in an industrial, manufacturing or technology prototyping environment.
- Knowledge of current manufacturing methods and materials.
- Demonstrated track record of practical and innovative engineering in a technology development environment.
- Fully conversant with engineering drawings.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the health & safety requirements relevant to the role.
- Experience with electromagnet or cryogenic design and manufacture.
- Experience with superconducting (HTS or LTS) magnet design.
- Experience with power electronics and circuit simulation.
- Knowledge of high current power supply technology.
- 3D visualization and CAD skills.
- Understanding and awareness of intellectual property.
- Experience using test and diagnostic equipment.
- Experience of project management.
- Experience with risk assessment.
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale.
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Organized approach to complex problems.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Proactive attitude.
- Self-starting and self-reliant.
- Ability to devise and operate effective project schedule.
- Creativity and innovation.
- 25 Days Holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme: Company contribution of 5% of salary after 3 months' service
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years' service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months' service
- Childcare voucher scheme
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Project Engineer, Engineering Project Management, Production Engineer, Project Management, Operations Engineer, Prototype Development Engineer, HTS Magnet Prototype Designer, Production Projects Engineer, Production Operations, Project Coordinator, Project Management may also be considered for this role.