Design Engineer / CAD Engineer / HTS Magnet Design Engineer
4 days left
- Full Time
Job Title: Design Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The Company aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies - spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. They are currently developing a series of technology demonstration prototypes, culminating in a pilot plant which will exceed fusion energy breakeven.
They are now expanding their HTS Engineering team, which is responsible for developing HTS plasma confinement magnet technology. An opportunity exists for a creative Design Engineer who is motivated to play a leading role in development of novel HTS magnet systems for fusion energy. Suitable candidates will have CAD experience in a mechanical design role in an industrial development or production environment.
- Create 2D and 3D detailed drawings using Solid Edge.
- Prepare and create manufacturing drawings of approved designs, individual production parts and assembly drawings.
- Produce drawings for tender submissions.
- Work closely with the HTS magnet technology team during the build phase of the project to help resolve any build/assembly issues.
- Work to the requirements of the drawing office control system.
- Undertake any other duties or special projects as may be regarded as within the responsibility of the post.
- Help with administration, liaising directly with subcontractors and raising purchase orders.
- Work closely with the Design and Projects teams to coordinate and effectively plan and programme the designs to ensure the magnet assembly team have suitable time to meet key installation dates and deadlines.
- Maintain an up-to-date technical awareness of the business requirements.
- Carry out all duties in accordance with the Company Health and Safety Policy.
- Working knowledge and experience of Solid Edge software.
- Design experience for large mechanical structures and/or special purpose machines and systems, process equipment and tooling.
- Knowledge of design processes, FMEA's, FEA, PAPP and DFA & DFM.
- Knowledge of BS working standards including BS8888, (BS308) & ISO9001 (2001) including Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Familiarity of PD5500, ASME Sec VIII Div 1 & AD Merkblatt 2000.
- Awareness of industry standard toolroom/shop floor working practices.
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Ability to communicate with manufactures and suppliers.
- Vacuum systems and vacuum chambers.
- Able to organise design reviews & presentations.
- Degree level Mechanical Engineering or CAD Design or equivalent.
- Working Knowledge of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM).
- Experience with Project Management.
- Experience in the design of large electromagnets.
- Experience in design of superconducting magnets.
- Experience with cryogenic system design.
- Wide knowledge and experience of manufacturing methods.
- Wide knowledge of materials used in scientific applications (metal alloys / ceramics / composites).
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale.
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Organized approach to complex problems.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Proactive attitude.
- Self-starting and self-reliant.
- Ability to devise and operate effective project schedule.
- Creativity and innovation.
- 25 Days Holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme: Company contribution of 5% of salary after 3 months' service
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years' service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months' service
- Childcare voucher scheme
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Design Engineer, Development Engineer, Product Design Engineer, Product Designer, Product Development, CAD, AutoCAD Engineer, Solid Works Engineer, CAD Engineer, AutoCAD Technician, Design Technician, Mechanical Engineer, Graduate, Graduate Design Engineer may also be considered for this role.
Apply for Design Engineer / CAD Engineer / HTS Magnet Design Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly