Assistant Engineering Superintendent - Sella Ness
Shetland Islands Council, Ferry Operations is looking for a motivated, organised and analytically minded individual to join its engineering team, based at Sella Ness.
This is a great opportunity for an ambitious individual to take the next step in their career.
As part of the team within Ferry Operations you will be contributing to delivering our aims as set out in our corporate plan, such as:
"Provide quality transport services within Shetland"
"The transport services we provide are the lifeblood of these islands. They allow us all to go about our daily business and take part in community life."
As Assistant Engineering Superintendent you will enjoy a varied role. Reporting to the Team Leader: Engineering Superintendent; you will play a key role in our team, taking responsibility for managing the planning and scheduling of various projects, managing invoices, providing a range of technical assistance to the Ferry Operations Management team and delivering work to defined standards and targets.
You will ensure that vessels are managed in line with company procedures, as well as in line with external regulations.
We are a small team and flexibility is essential to support our activities including being aware of service /operational requirements, restrictions, regulations and our approved Safety Management System (SMS).
More details is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached below.
Please follow the link below for further information.Requirements
- The grade of this post is Grade J
- Salary shown in the advert is inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance of GBP2,094 per annum
- Permanent Full Time post for 37.0 Hours per Week, 52.18 weeks per year
- A relocation package does not apply to this post
- We will pay interview expenses from within Shetland.
- The successful applicant will be subject to satisfactory Pre-Employment Medical screening. As this is a safety critical post, this will include drugs and alcohol screening
- Ability to work outside normal hours/standby as required
- Not suitable for job share
- Not suitable for remote working
This post is based at Sella Ness
For further details relating to this post, please contact: Lee Coutts, Engineer Superintendent onor e-mail
If you have a disability which prevents you from applying online, please call.Responsibilities
Key activities and responsibilities include:
- Contribute to the preparation, monitoring and control of annual budgets, in respect of vessel maintenance, refits/dry dockings, fuel, lubrication oils and capital projects;
- Carry out vessel visits, audits and inspections as required by the Engineering Superintendent;
- In conjunction with the Engineering Superintendent, plan and manage the coordination of maintenance, regular service periods, dry dockings and upgrades through the designated service contractors/vessel crew as appropriate;
- Prepare, plan, supervise and manage annual refits/dry dockings, vessel upgrades and any other major repair or upgrade, ensuring work is completed within set timescales and in accordance with inspection regimes, planned maintenance and project outcomes;
- Contribute to the development and improvement of Engineering functions within Ferry Operations and the continued development of the Safety Management System;
- Ensure that plant, machinery and electrical systems are maintained in a safe and seaworthy condition, to comply with UK and International regulations and to minimise downtime;
- Arrange surveys, inspections and certification to ensure that the vessels are fully operational in accordance with local, national, flag and classification society requirements
- You should have possession of Second Engineer Certificate of Competency (or equivalent qualification) ORhave possession of Engineering Officer of the Watch (Unlimited) Certificate of Competency.
- You must be physically fit and able to pass an ENG1 Medical Examination
- You should have the ability to analyse complex information and deal with difficult problems
- You should have the ability to consistently apply corporate standards and values