Electrical Engineer / Electrical Design & Installation Engineer
Job Title: Electrical Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The Company aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies - spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors.
They were originally established in 2009 to design and develop small Spherical Tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications. Since then, the strategy has evolved to prioritise building a pilot plant to exceed fusion energy breakeven.
The candidate will be part of the Electrical Engineering team. The team is responsible for the design, installation and commissioning of a large number of pulsed power supplies as well as installation and commissioning of the controls, diagnostics and safety systems for the ST40 programme.
- High power busbar design and installation including temperature monitoring system.
- Earthing design and layout for stared system capable of handling high power impulse currents.
- Installation and commissioning of high voltage power supplies and high current power supplies.
- Design, commission and installation of PLC and HMI for equipment interlocks and LabVIEW for power supply control and remote user interface communications.
- Design and use of signal processing using analogue / digital filtering.
- Analogue (OpAmps etc) and digital electronic design.
- Design of risk assessments and installation method statements.
Contacts and Communication
- Liaising with other engineers responsible for cooling water systems, vacuum and physics parameters.
- Liaising with various manufacturing companies.
- Internally the post holder will communicate with the Electrical Engineering Group manager, other mechanical and electrical engineers working within the Company.
- Externally the post holder will be responsible for the management of electrical engineering manufacture contracts and will therefore have to liaise with manufacturers and component suppliers.
- Degree in Electrical/ Electronic Engineering
- Experience of working on pulsed power supplies
- Relevant experience at an appropriate level.
- Health & safety IOSH or NEBOSH
Knowledge and Experience:
- High voltage and High current power supplies.
- Working knowledge of electrical power engineering control interface through PLC controls and LabVIEW.
- 3D and 2D CAD.
- Knowledge and understanding of fault finding techniques using test and diagnostic equipment.
- Earthing system.
- Busbar systems.
- Pulsed supply for TF joint measurement.
- Feedthrough and cabling systems.
- Electrical circuit simulation.
- PCB Creation.
- Experience handling LN.
- Design of Power electronics, including simulation, and hands-on experience. Using SCRs, IGBTs, Supercapacitors and other power components.
Personal skill and Qualities
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively as part of a team, or alone.
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Strong self-motivation.
- Ability to be involved in a wide range of technologies as an electrical engineer.
- Good organized approach to complex problems.
- Able to make infrequent and short overseas and UK visits as part of work and training.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Ability to devise and operate effective project schedules.
- 25 Days Holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme: Company contribution of 5% of salary after 3 months' service
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years' service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months' service
- Childcare voucher scheme
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Electrician, Electrical Engineer, Multi Skilled Electrical Technician, Electrical Maintenance Engineer, Electrical Technician, Installation Engineer, Testing Engineer, Power Supply Engineer, Installation & Design Engineer, may also be considered for this role.
Apply for Electrical Engineer / Electrical Design & Installation Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly