Reports to: The Bursar, but with day to day responsibility to the Librarian
Salary Scale: SCP 13 £17349 per annum.
Starting Salary: Pro rata for 36 weeks: £12011 plus 13% in lieu of paid holiday £1561 totalling £13572
Location: King Edward’s School, Bath
Hours of Work: 36 Term-time weeks, 37 hours per week from 9.30am - 6.00pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and 9.30am - 3.00pm Thursday, with a 30-minute break for lunch each day.
Holidays: 20 days + 2 statutory days plus 8 Bank Holidays paid holiday pro rata per annum, rising to 1 extra day for each completed year up to a maximum of 25 days. As this is a Term-time post an element of pay equivalent to 13% of gross salary, in the first instance, is paid in lieu of holiday entitlement.
Pension: Automatic enrolment into the KES Support staff Personal Pension Scheme with Employer’s Contribution of 6% of salary, to be matched by 2% Employee contribution.
The School: King Edward’s School, founded in 1552, is an Independent Co-Educational Day School; there are currently 680 pupils in the Senior School (including 210 pupils in the Sixth Form), 175 in the Junior School and 100 in the Pre-Prep.
The Senior and Junior Schools are situated on a privileged 14-acre site on the south-eastern edge of Bath, just below the University, with fine views of the City Centre and surrounding hills. The Pre-Prep is situated in Weston Lane, Bath. In addition, there are attractive playing fields one mile from the school at Bathampton.
To assist the Senior School Librarian in the general running and maintenance of the main Library and its stock, together with other library activities in the Junior School and Pre-Prep. To assist with the supervision of pupils attending the KES Senior School library after school programme.
- Assisting the Librarian in ensuring the library books, equipment, furnishings and fabric are maintained in good order.
- Circulating books, DVDs and other materials in and out, using the Oliver Library Management System
- Assisting pupils with information retrieval
- Helping with the classification and cataloguing of book and non-book materials
- Supervising pupils using the library and providing them with support and guidance on their information needs
- Helping with the circulation and maintenance of stock, and regular stock checks
- Assisting with displays and other promotional materials
- Providing support for the other KES Libraries; filing, updating displays, helping with pupil supervision etc.
- Supervising pupils staying for the KES Senior School library after school programme.
- Carrying out any other library-related duties as the Librarian reasonably requires.
- Must register in the CILIP Librarian Chartership programme
- Prior work in a library is desirable
- Confidence in using a computer is essential
- Must be able to relate to and work well with the pupils aged 11 –18 years, and be able to maintain discipline and positive behaviour in a learning environment
- Must be methodical with attention to detail
- The Post-holder must be creative and be able to demonstrate energy and enthusiasm, and have a good sense of humour.
All staff are in a position of trust and have a duty to keep children and young people safe and to protect them from neglect and physical and emotional harm. This duty is in part exercised through the development of respectful caring and professional relationships between staff, children, and young people. Staff are expected to be familiar with the local child protection arrangements and understand their responsibilities in order to safeguard and protect children and young people.
King Edward’s School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and applicants must be willing to undergo safeguarding screening including checks with past employers and a DBS disclosure in accordance with the DBS Code of Conduct. All appointments are made subject to satisfactory DBS clearance. The suitability of all prospective employees or volunteers will be assessed during the recruitment process in line with this commitment.
Apply for Library Assistant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly