UK Media Manager
Hand in Hand for Aid and Development (HIHFAD) operating as Hand in Hand for Syria, was established as a UK registered charity soon after the start of the Syrian crisis in 2011 by a group of British Syrians in order to deliver humanitarian assistance to civilians impacted by the conflict in Syria. From humble beginnings the charity has grown to become one of the leading humanitarian actors serving Syrian communities both inside Syria and in neighbouring countries, employing over 500 staff in Syria, Turkey and the UK.
HIHFAD is seeking an experienced UK Media Manager to lead a small team managing our online presence and media relations in the UK as well providing input and leadership to fundraising activities. The Media Manager will manage the HIHFAD brand in the UK and provide support internationally. The Media Manager will work closely with the media team in Turkey to generate content and stories to promote and advocate for HIHFAD projects and causes in the UK via our website and social media channels, through events and relationships with media, volunteers, donors and partners.
The successful candidate will have the relevant technical skills and work experience as well as energy and fresh ideas to drive change in a fast paced, complex environment.
Scope of work:
Under the overall supervision of the Global Advocacy and Donor Relations Manager, the UK Media Manager will perform the following duties as well as other tasks as required to fulfil the role.
- Working closely with the media team in Turkey, produce and manage up-to-date content for social media channels and HIHFAD newsletter.
- Manage HIHFAD website, keeping site up to date and optimized for Google Ads/SEO.
- Managing all aspects of design work whether in-house or commissioned externally (from commissioning stage, through to quality control and final sign off/print/delivery).
- Develop materials for fundraising, campaigns, the public or partners.
- Manage small team of fundraising and administrative staff.
- Pitch and identify stories for media outlets and highlight potential collaborations.
- Manage press requests and source relevant content for media coverage.
- Manage photo archives.
- Under the guidance of the Global Advocacy Manager, coordinate with advocacy groups and raise advocacy profile of HIHFAD.
- Support the Global Advocacy and Donor Relations Manager in identifying potential new donors and funding opportunities through networking and researching.
- Provide occasional technical guidance and coaching to the media team in Turkey as required.
- Explore new channels to promote activities of HIHFAD.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant discipline.
3 to 5 years in a Media and Communications role, preferably with some experience in the Not For Profit sector.
Essential Technical Skills and Personal Attributes:
- Exceptional written and spoken English communication skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in building community online.
- Photo editing skills (Lightroom, Photoshop).
- Team player with ability to work under pressure with multiple deadlines in a fast paced, politically sensitive environment.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to undertake regular travel to Turkey and within the UK.
- Good written and spoken Arabic (ability to translate between English and Arabic highly desirable) .
- Understanding of the situation in Syria.
- Video Editing skills.
- Graphic Design skills.
- Knowledge of SEO.
- WordPress/Blogging/HTML Experience.
- Demonstrated experience in working in a multi-locational, multi-cultural setting.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should fill the application via the following link:
and send their CVs, with a covering letter detailing their experience and motivation, and an example of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include the Announcement Code in the subject of your email “HIHFAD-2018-034”.
Only candidates who are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
Apply for UK Media Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly