Role: Patent Secretary
Salary: GBP25,000 - GBP32,000 (Negotiable)
This is a leading firm of UK and European Patent and Trademark Attorney, in terms of staff numbers it is one of the largest in the UK.
This is a great chance to work across all aspects of a bustling IP firm. Secretaries are expected to work across three technical areas (Biotechnology & Lifesciences, Chemistry & Pharmaceutical and Engineering & IT). Each secretary will work for a number of Fee Earners (generally between two and four depending on the workload). We operate a work-table system, whereby secretaries are expected to assist to cover holidays, sickness and general work excess (please note that all secretaries must be prepared to take work from the table when necessary).
* Experienced patent secretaries will be expected to be able to produce standard letters, file notes, European Patent Office and UK Patent Office forms (in accordance with the firm's style) relatively unsupervised from dictation or with limited instructions via email.
* Secretaries are also required (on occasions) to participate in some general office tasks such as preparing meeting rooms for meetings, greeting clients and preparing DHL packages for collection.
* Create narratives for invoice requests as well as fees paid e-mails to our in-house finance department. This will require initiative as well as good written English
* Responsible for forwarding invoices
* Create various emails to clients and calendar entries on behalf of Fee Earners
* Arrange meetings and set up conference rooms
* Taking internal/external calls on behalf of Fee Earners and other secretaries
* Checking the Fee Earner's reminder system on a daily basis and taking necessary action if required e.g. produce reminder letters and standard responses
* Drafting letters in response to routine enquiries from clients
* Filing in the Document Management System
* Dealing with daily reminders
* Proofreading documents
* Updating client information on Interaction
* Use of EPO software
* Previous Patent experience, preferably in Biotechnology & Lifesciences
* Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
* Ability to work at a fast pace, meet deadlines and produce a high volume of work to a quality standard
* The successful secretary will be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook (if possible Inprotech as well)
* Must be able to work autonomously and use initiative
* Proficient in MS Word, Outlook and Excel
* Must be able to prioritise their own workload
* Must be able to work flexible hours and be able to work under pressure.
All staff should work towards developing positive working relationships with their colleagues and be prepared to help out whenever necessary. Be willing to adapt to change and be pro-active in offering suggestions/solutions to problems and/or queries. All staff are required to maintain a professional image at all times.
If this sounds interesting then please get in touch for more details!