Abbey College Cambridge is an independent sixth form college that offers the very best education and boarding for international and domestic students, while boasting a central location and a new campus.
We have a dedicated team of academic and administration staff and are now looking to appoint a Caretaker to join our team.
The caretakers are responsible for the care and upkeep of Abbey College Cambridge buildings and their grounds, including the main teaching buildings, Block A & Block B Homerton Gardens and the Boarding accommodation of Abbey House. The caretakers will also provide assistance with other independent residences used by Abbey students. You will take pride in your work, helping to create a safe, enjoyable workplace and College.
Responsible to: Site Manager
Hours: 7.00am-3.00pm/8.00am-4.00pm Mon-Fri with occasional evening or weekend hours as per the needs of the college. Cover other Caretaker during holiday and absences (7.00am-3.00pm)
Holiday: 25 days annual leave per year plus all Public holidays, to be taken at times convenient to the college. Holiday restrictions apply from the third week in August to the end of September and the first week of every term.
Remuneration: £17,000 - £20,000 per annum
Duties and Responsibilities
The caretakers are responsible for making sure the buildings and grounds are in proper working order. This involves daily building and grounds checks and other tasks such as:
- Undertaking general repairs, maintenance and improvement works, changing light bulbs, unblocking drains, small painting works, heating changes etc.
- Making sure the premises and grounds are clean and that rubbish is collected and taken away on a daily basis, and any graffiti is cleaned up
- Regular touch-up painting of interior and exterior areas to make good ‘wear and tear’
- Calling in specialist help when needed which will usually involve external contractors
- Escorting contractors as required to carry out works
- The caretakers should have a full understanding of the buildings at all times.
- They may be required to unlock buildings in the absence of Security
- The caretakers may be called outside of office hours in the event of emergency (burst pipe, break in etc.) to attend and assist as required.
Health and Safety
The caretakers carry out the weekly Fire Alarm tests and H&S checks of fire exits, fire extinguishers and escape routes in each building and ensure all paperwork is completed.
- Caretakers work alongside the Site Manager to ensure H&S regulations are adhered to across the site.
Other duties include:
- Setting up/clearing exams, assemblies and College events
- Premise maintenance and other groundwork
- Storing equipment and supplies safely
- Understanding fire safety regulations, Health and Safety regulations, emergency procedures and the rules for evacuating a building
- Maintaining a variety of records, including health and safety ,fire safety and monitoring meter readings and fuel usage
- Delivering parcels/packages
- Escorting contractors
Allocation of tasks is at the discretion of the Site Manager and Director of Operations.
These tasks are not an exhaustive list as there are numerous other tasks which may arise from time to time.
- Responsible, honest and reliable
- Practical and good with hands
- Able to be discreet and maintain confidentiality
- Able to stay calm in an emergency, for example if there is a break-in or fire
- Well-organised and capable of prioritising their own work
- Able to work on their own or in a team, supervising if required
- Flexible and enjoys a varied routine as days can rarely be planned
- Reasonably fit
- Good verbal communication skills to deal with a variety of people
- Basic computer literacy
- Able to interpret technical information
- Full UK driving licence
- Understanding of H&S legislation, including good practice in relation to caretaking, hygiene and general safety
- Some understanding of building construction and design would be advantageous
- Experience of carrying out minor building maintenance work, within the reasonable capacity of a normal handyperson
- Experience of keeping work records
This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service disclosure. The candidate must be able to demonstrate commitment to Equal Opportunities.
Application deadline is Tuesday 19th June 2018 at 12 noon.
To apply, please visit our website.
Abbey College Cambridge is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All staff are required to complete an Enhanced DBS Check.