Product Development Manager
Position: Product Development Manager
Department: Product Development
Reports To: Head of Product Development
Standard Work Hours: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Supervisory Responsibilities: Potential to manage Asst PD Manager
Location: Our London office
Salary: £55,000 to 60,000
Closing date for applications: Monday 2 July 2018
This position will play a critical role in the product development process in driving, managing and executing products to market by developing and adhering to strategy, timelines and cost targets, utilizing the stage gate process.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Gain a deep understanding of customer product experience, partner with category managers to profitably expand product portfolios, fill product gaps and identify new ideas that grow market share, improve customer experience and drive revenue growth
- Create buy-in for the product vision both internally with key stakeholders and with key external partners
- Work with Project Management to develop detailed project timelines to deliver products on time and on budget
- Work with R&D, Sourcing, Creative Services, QA and manufacturing to ensure that critical tasks and key milestones are met and business risks are minimized
- Drive fragrance development, including briefing and fragrance house redirects
- Write product briefs including ingredient, texture, fragrance and testing recommendations
- Partner with Category managers to translate brand strategy into detailed product specifications, technical requirements and prototypes
- Scope and prioritize activities based on business and customer impact
- Lead the product development process through successful stage gate process, understand strategic priorities, perform market analysis and develop strategies for development
- Work closely with stakeholders to deliver with quick time-to-market and optimal resources
- Drive innovative product launches idea while working with Global Brand Marketing, Regional marketing teams, Sr. Executives, and other team members both internally and externally
- Support marketing and promotional efforts through development of sampling programs
- Act as a product evangelist to build awareness and understanding
- Evaluate existing products and identify opportunities for improved margin, lower costs and extended product life cycle
- Initiates product briefs and leads development with external partners through lab validation, pilot & line trial, and first production
- Assist in overall definition and writing of product development process
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Business Planning & Results
- Brand & Market Focus
- Leadership & Talent Management
- Influence, Communication & Presentation
- Negotiation & Decision Making
- Financial Management
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Engineering or equivalent.
- Must have previous experience working in fragrance development in a global capacity.
- Must have experience in a Stage Gate environment and a proven track record of successfully managing all aspects of the fragrance product lifecycle, from actioning briefs through to the technicalities of fragrance modifications required for different bases.
- Must understand the technicalities of stability testing, performance testing and past experience evaluating and approving fragrances and products.
- Proven ability to develop product and marketing strategies and effectively communicate recommendations to executive management.
- Must be able to calculate figures, manage multiple projects, collect data, establish facts, draw conclusions, assess multiple paths and develop recommendations. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Excellent written and verbal skills required, including an ability to communicate effectively through different means.
- Must have international global experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- The position requires strong problem solving skills and willingness to roll-up one’s sleeves to get the job done.
- Preferred attributes: skilled at working effectively with cross-functional teams in a matrix organization; strong leadership and influence management skills; a collaborative, cross-functional management style and enjoy working in a fast-paced, changing team setting. Ability to speak French a plus. Microsoft Project Pro experience a plus.
Job duties and requirements are subject to change. Crabtree & Evelyn reserves the right to modify position descriptions accordingly at any time with little or no prior notice.
Crabtree & Evelyn is an Equal Opportunity Employer