Charity Shop Manager
Tasks and Responsibilities
To provide effective leadership and management of the shop in accordance with the charity’s aims and values
• To brief the line manager at regular agreed intervals on progress in the shop.
• To propose action to him/her for improvements in operations.
• To maintain an awareness of developments in local shops, especially in the charity sector, updating the line manager as required.
• To maintain and develop good channels of communication with the Fundraising and Marketing Manager and other parts of Menphys
• To ensure the shop meets sales targets after discussing and agreeing the same with the line manager.
• To initiate marketing campaigns and sales promotions to increase sales.
• To ensure the shop is competing effectively with local competitors.
• To ensure all volunteers maintain a high standard of customer care.
• To promote the store in the local community through initiatives, for example initiating stock appeals by working with local schools and by assisting the Fundraising and Marketing Manager to draft releases for the news media and the Menphys website.
Maintaining Effective Stock Management & Merchandising
• To control pricing of items for sale
• To ensure the highest possible resale value of donated stock.
• To apply suitable display, merchandising and window dressing standards.
• To control stock density and rotation.
• To initiate local stock and sales promotions.
• To help the Fundraising and Marketing Manager maintain a database of donors so that they may be thanked and invited to Menphys events.
Volunteer Management & Training
• To take day-to-day responsibility for managing and delegating work to volunteers ensuring satisfactory performance.
• To provide adequate supervision for volunteers.
• To provide training for all volunteers.
• To recruit volunteers.
• To lead and develop the staff/volunteer team in the shop, encouraging effective communication, setting objectives, initiating work plans and helping to foster a positive team spirit through regular team meetings.
• To apply Trading Standards Regulations in the shop and ensure volunteers are aware of them.
• To apply cash register procedures.
• To ensure takings are banked regularly and safely in line with the charity’s cash handling policy
• To submit figures and returns to the line manager as required.
• To take action to ensure the shop is adequately manned, setting and maintaining rotas.
• To summarise takings using agreed procedures.
• To ensure shop housekeeping is to the Menphys standard.
• To take day-to-day responsibility for shop interior.
• To ensure all shop equipment is kept in good working order.
• To inform line manager of necessary repairs and maintenance.
• To act as main key holder and delegate key holding to other volunteers within procedural guidelines.
• To ensure the security of shop takings.
• To provide best circumstances for the personal security of volunteers and customers.
• To ensure that security procedures are understood and implemented by all volunteers.
Health & Safety
• To apply the charity’s health and safety policies.
• To ensure that health and safety procedures are understood and implemented by all volunteers.
• To carry out these tasks and responsibilities with an understanding of and commitment to Menphys Ltd.’s equal opportunities policy.
• To use new technology as required.
• To keep Menphys property secure and in good working order.
• To carry out any other duties deemed appropriate by the line manager.