Senior Production Journalist
Based in the beautiful city of Bath, this role is responsible for the design/subbing of the weekly Bath Chronicle newspaper, particularly the news and commercial pages. But the job needs more than just a quick sub who can shift pages, as the successful applicant will play a key role in decision making and shaping the future of this 258-year-old newspaper.
It needs someone with news judgement who can manage copy from numerous sources, including regular contributors, staff and freelance and make day-to-day content decisions about what should (and shouldn't) be in the paper. They need to be able to turn copy written for a digital audience into engaging print stories, as well as support our hard working commercial colleagues. They need to be flexible, able to deputise for the editor yet still be prepared to turn around a press release or round-up listings when needed.
In short, they will be responsible for doing whatever is needed to get a paper out each week which meets the high standards expected by the Bath community.
As part of a virtual regional production unit, they may also at times be asked to work on other titles, such as the Western Daily Press.
- Design, sub-edit and proof newspaper pages
- Manage content from contributors, staff journalists and freelancers
- Deputise for the editor when needed
- Ensure the Bath Chronicle is produced to a high standard and complies with the law and IPSO
- Support as required the wider production of newspapers for Reach plc within the region
The ideal candidate will be proficient in in-Design and familiar with ContentWatch content management systems or have experience in other newspaper publishing systems and the ability to learn quickly.
We ask a lot. But this is a rewarding role where an experienced print production journalist can make a difference in a wonderful part of the world.
- Proficient in in-design as well as being experienced with ContentWatch content management systems
- Understands media law and is familiar with the IPSO code
- Able to work to in a fast pressured environment whilst maintaining exceptionally high standards in everything you do
- Have a can-do attitude where no task is too big or small, and work closely with various teams team to ensure the end result is reached in line with our deadlines.
What You Need To Know
In addition to competitive salaries, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Trinity Mirror Group plc offer a whole host of voluntary flexible benefits. These include a car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets & parking loans and an employee assistance programme.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
Our Business: Reach plc
Reach plc (Formally Trinity Mirror plc), with an award winning portfolio of newspapers, websites and digital products, is one of the UK's largest multimedia companies employing over six thousand people across more than sixty locations around the country.