Software Developer /IT Developer /Software Development Engineer
Location: Manchester / Bath - However you may be required to work at other locations.
Salary: £35,827 - £39,807 p.
Position: Permanent, Full time
Hours: 36 hours per week - May be necessary to work evenings, weekends, and Public Holidays.
Close Date: Wedsnesday 20th June @ 5pm
The Institute are the team behind many of Great Britain's most successful sports. They worked with 93% of the athletes and 31 of the 34 sports that won a medal for Team GB and Paralympics GB at the Rio 2016 Olympic & Paralympic Games. As the country's largest provider of sport science, medicine and technology, they also provides a range of added-value benefits to the sports they work with including cutting-edge innovation.
As a software developer working as part of the Sport Intelligence team, you will play an integral role in the development of new features, the enhancement and integration of existing systems along with creating new products. This is a new role within the team and offers the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of the software development lifecycle including planning, design, development and delivery of software solutions utilised by the UK's high-performance sport system.
As part of this 'team behind the team', you will be contributing to the on-going success and continuous improvement of systems such as the Institute's Performance Data Management System (PDMS), which enables the capture, storage and management of data that is generated by their practitioners, elite athletes and coaches across Olympic and Paralympic sports.
- Lead components of software development for applications and products throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Develop a technical understanding of existing applications and products, in order to provide effective support for technical queries, live incidents and issues.
- Build relationships with existing third-party development providers, gradually taking ownership of existing processes and code management.
- Provide support in the definition of the appropriate delivery and deployment approach for new features and existing feature enhancements.
- Work closely with the Product Owner to identify new opportunities and technical improvements.
- Identify ways to ensure quality of output is of a consistently high standard.
- Communicate credibly with a wide range of technical and non-technical stakeholders across multiple organisations, maintaining relationships with key project stakeholders.
- Play an active role in agile meeting ceremonies such as stand-ups, sprint planning, review and retrospective sessions.
- Develop relationships with the wider team to understand data challenges and other software that is used within the high-performance system.
- A minimum of three years' experience in developing bespoke software utilising the following technologies;
- NET web API
- RESTful APIs
- Entity Framework
- SQL Server
- SQL Azure
- Azure Cloud Services
- Proven experience of working in an agile software development environment, to create and improve digital products and services.
- Proven experience in balancing multiple priorities.
- Experience of working with a range of stakeholders to understand needs, receive feedback and demonstrate new functionality.
- Experience of playing the lead role in creation of data-centric systems or services.
- Experience of working with third party development teams.
Knowledge and skills
- Knowledge of best practice design principles when creating relational and non-relational database systems.
- Understanding of the full software development lifecycle.
- Ability to work independently, prioritise own workload, balancing conflicting demands and tight deadlines.
- Must be methodical and accurate, showing great attention to detail.
- Knowledge of various agile frameworks such as Scrum, Kanban, BDD and TDD.
- Keep up to date with the latest technological advancements, best practice and industry standards.
- Able to troubleshoot to overcome technical challenges with pragmatism and patience.
- An ability to communicate clearly with technical and non-technical audiences in fluent English.
- Knowledge of front end technologies and mobile app development.
- A keen interest in sport
- Professional qualification in a relevant subject
The Institute is a dynamic, growing and fast-moving organisation that will offer you a flexible, positive, stimulating and challenging work environment with real opportunities to make the best better. Working for them brings its rewards not only in its salary and benefits package, but also in the opportunities for learning and career development.
Please be aware, the company will not be providing any sponsorship or relocation packages for this role so candidates will only be considered if eligible to both live and work in the UK.
To apply for this role please click APPLY and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the link to the application form.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of: Software Engineer, Developer, Programmer, Software Programming, Software Development, IT Developer, Technical Developer, IT Software Engineer, Software Development Engineer will also be considered for this role.