- Full Time
Support Worker Job Description
Hours: Flexible to include evenings, sleep-ins, weekends and public holidays according to the needs of the service.
To provide individualised person centred support to people with learning difficulties living in supported housing; to enable them to enjoy a fulfilling and valued life, to participate the community and wider community and to develop their abilities as fully as possible.
- To develop and sustain warm and trusting relationships with companions.
- To promote the self-esteem, happiness and emotional health of companions.
- To respect the person’s right to privacy and to ensure that their dignity is maintained at all times.
- To encourage and support companions in expressing their needs, views and concerns. To enable companions to make choices and decisions and to participate as fully as possible in planning and decision making.
- To respect and promote the rights and entitlement of companions, and to enable them to participate as fully as possible in the community and the wider community.
- To be responsible to the individual needs of companions within the framework of their Person Centred Support Plans and as indicated in their Risk assessments, and to respond flexibly to changing needs.
- To enable companions to become as independent as possible and to grow in confidence, competence and personal effectiveness in the following areas:
- Social skills/relationships, friendship and respect for others
- Personal care & hygiene
- Daily living skills
- Developing a sense of pride and meaning in their working life
- Using the wider community resources and facilities
- Social, leisure and work skills
- Self-organisation and coping abilities
- Personal safety
- Where possible using public transport and travelling independently
- To achieve this through the provision of practical assistance, support, teaching, advice, role modelling, encouragement and positive feedback.
- To support those who express their frustrations and needs through challenging behaviour by using appropriate strategies and interventions as specified by their Support Plans
To ensure that companions receive all necessary advice, care and regular health checks to ensure their physical health and well-being. To promote nutrition, relaxation, exercise and a healthy lifestyle.
- To support companions in developing a valued lifestyle which includes a varied range of culturally and age appropriate experiences, building on their strengths, interests and aspirations. To enable companions to participate in meaningful work and community life. To support companions to access social, leisure, work and educational experiences in the wider community.
- To enable companions to access developmental opportunities, new experiences and challenges, whilst not being exposed to unacceptable risks.
- To assist companions in the administration and monitoring of prescribed medication in accordance with Sturts Farm Medication Policy.
- To observe and monitor companions emotional and physical well-being and to inform relevant staff of any concerns or significant changes in their needs, behaviour and circumstances.
- To comply with Sturts farm safeguarding policy and procedure and to report any concerns regarding vulnerable adults with immediate effect to the Manager/Home Co-ordinator or on-call manager.
- To take appropriate action in the event of unforeseen emergencies, ensuring that the Home Co-ordinator is informed promptly.
- To follow Health & Safety guidelines carefully and to alert the Home co-ordinator immediately of any concerns in relation to Health & Safety.
- To contribute to any daily recordings in individual files.
- To carry out and record all financial transactions involving companions.
- To carry out general administration duties, housing management and housekeeping tasks and services as required.
- If appropriate to contribute to companions reviews, through the provision of verbal and written reports and by attending Support Planning meetings.
If you feel you're the ideal candidate that our client is looking for, then send in your CV today by clicking the APPLY button below.