ICT Network Manager
We are seeking to appoint an experienced and highly motivated Network Manager who will be actively involved in the management and strategic development of the school's ICT infrastructure. We are well resourced and ICT facilities are excellent throughout the school. Currently in ICT we have four specialist ICT suites and a number of subject ICT clusters which support studies in the thirteen Curriculum Areas. A total of 450 Windows desktop computers, 55 macOS computers and 25 exam laptop computers are linked to our network. Every student and member of staff has access to an iPad as part of our iPads for Learning scheme. The Windows network is supported by 9 physical servers and 20 HyperV virtual servers, and a mixture of Netgear layer 2 and layer 3 managed switches. Printing is provided through 13 Follow-You multifunction devices, linked to a BioStore biometric identification system. Every classroom has a SmartBoard and projector, though we are looking to gradually replace these with large flatscreen monitors. A campus-wide Meru/Fortigate WiFi network serves all indoor and outdoor areas through 105 access points. A 200Mb/s fibre link on a 1Gb/s carrier provides our internet connection.
The aim of this role is to ensure all users have access to a reliable, fast and secure network to promote effective teaching, learning and administration. Responsible for the provision, maintenance and administration of the wired and wireless wide area network throughout the school, together with the associated hardware, software, peripherals and cabling.
- Maintain a safe, secure and effective IT environment for all users.
- Lead and manage the ICT Network team.
- Be responsible for the security of all data on the network, including virus protection and daily backups according to an agreed protocol.
- Keep fully informed of new computer hardware and software developments and how they can be used effectively within the school.
- Be involved in the long term planning of all aspects of the computer network.
- Keep up to date network logs to help analyse incidents and plan future services
- Maintain systems to minimize the impact of planned and unplanned down time.
- Ensure the ICT systems enable the school priorities as identified in the School Improvement Plan to be met.
- Keep an inventory of all ICT hardware and software, ensuring that the school does not breach its software licensing.
- Responsible for the budget for the day to day running of the network
- Liaise with suppliers to obtain the best deals on equipment and services
- Ensure helpdesk support requests are prioritized and effectively dealt with according to need.
- Maintain and ICT Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Undertake out of hours maintenance via remote connection, for example on the SIMS system, as required.
- Plan and implement a rolling replacement and maintenance programme for ICT hardware and software in conjunction with the Finance and Operations Director.
- Maintain documentation on all areas of the network, including topology, server specs, functions, configurations and network cabling.
- Ensure all relevant Health and Safety requirements are adhered to and that ICT staff work in a safe manner.
- Demonstrate a can do attitude at all times and deliver to the required quality of service within the agreed timeframe.
- Be proactive in anticipating problems and take action to prevent them from arising.
- Proven track record in a similar role.
- Extensive iPad and iOS, OS X, and Windows Server OS experience.
- A strategic thinker with excellent communication and management skills.
- Good working knowledge of Windows Server 2012 and 2016.
- Knowledge of switch management.
- Familiarity with Group Policy and Active Directory.
- Good working knowledge of a managed wireless network.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Common sense and a logical approach to problem solving.
- Capable of producing accurate documentation.
- An innovative and positive attitude.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and manage time well.
- Flexible approach to working hours.
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Azure platform.
- Experience with Powershell scripting.
- Experience with Ubiquiti switches and access points.
- Experience with VDI servers.
- Microsoft qualification such as mCP/MCSA/MCSE or hold other industry recognised qualifications.
- Previous experience in a school environment.
- Familarity with SIMS and PARS.
- Knowledge of Fortigate Firewall management.
- Experience of Meru managed wireless system.
- Knowledge of Apple device Enrolment Program (DEP)
- Knowledge of OS X Server.
- Knowledge of lightspeed Filtering and Mobile Device Management (MDM) systems.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Data Protection Manager (DPM).
- Demonstrate a keen interest in all aspects of school life.
- To show solidarity by supporting school policy, and the Governing Body and Wider Leadership team.
- Commitment to individual continuous professional development, wanting to 'get better' by building on strengths but also recognising development areas and actively seeking to improve them.