Principal Technology Advisor - Network Technologies
Principal Technology Advisor - Network Technologies
Edinburgh or London
About the Job
This role will require you to provide strategic technical insights and advice so that Ofcom’s policy position and approach to regulation ensures that consumers can benefit from new technological innovation in communications networks delivering a wide range of consumer and business services. We are looking for a self motivated and flexible technologist who can provide thought leadership on the current and emerging communications eco-system, with particular emphasis on fixed networks at both core and access level and the full range of services they can deliver, including PSTN replacement voice through to IPTV.
What you will be doing
The UK’s communications sector is characterised by technology-driven change, providing new and innovative services to consumers. The connectivity provided by today’s fixed, mobile and broadcast networks is central to much of what we do as an economy and a society. Further change is on the way, from faster fixed and mobile broadband networks, to new means of distributing digital content.
Effective and flexible regulation is essential if UK consumers are to get the maximum benefit from technological innovation. The Technology Team plays a key role in achieving this, by ensuring that the way that Ofcom regulates is underpinned by a strong understanding of current and emerging technologies. It undertakes a wide range of projects spanning all the sectors we regulate, including fixed and wireless telecoms, broadcast TV and radio and the internet. Technology innovations are a major driver of change across the sector and so it’s important that Ofcom maintains an in depth knowledge of potential developments.
Members of the team are required to have a broad understanding of a wide range of technologies, whilst also being able to “drill deep” into specific technical issues in their specialist area when required.
Whilst many of the technologies associated with fixed network services are long established, their configuration and management continues to evolve to match the increasing consumer demand for broadband capacity and a better quality of experience. These include the rollout of faster fibre, cable and fixed wireless broadband access networks, the transition from PSTN to voice over IP telephony services, evolution of key core bearer routing and transmission technologies, and a wider use of software controlled flexible network elements.
The successful candidate will have a range of responsibilities including:
- Providing thought leadership and communicating effectively across Ofcom on the likely impact of emerging technical innovation in the fixed broadband and telephony sector
- Leading policy projects aimed to delivering better outcomes for citizens and consumers. These are likely to have a significant technical component, and to require input from other specialists including economists and lawyers
- Maintaining an ongoing awareness and understanding of current and emerging fixed broadband technologies, including: ongoing training, industry liaison and identifying, commissioning and managing specific external technical research projects
Essential Skills / Experience
You will require:
- A comprehensive understanding of the technical design and delivery of fixed broadband and telephony services, including how the technical architecture and operation of fixed networks affects their delivery
- A good understanding of current and emerging technologies related to fixed broadband services and their delivery including; traffic management, software defined networks, multicasting, content delivery networks, faster optical fibre connections etc
- A good understanding of the factors impacting on the quality of service and reliability of fixed broadband delivered services
- Excellent communication and presentational skills, including the ability to explain complex issues and policy options with clarity to non-specialists
- Clear and accurate drafting skills with the ability to produce documents to a standard suitable for publication
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, highly numerate with proven data analysis skills
- Evidence of the ability to build strong and effective project teams, involving technical and non-technical specialists, both across the organisation and externally
- The ability to analyse complex technical issues and data, and present the results in accessible and creative ways
- Demonstrable evidence of managing successful policy projects
Desirable Skills / Experience
You will ideally have:
- Knowledge of the regulatory environment
- Worked in an online service provider, communications provider, or a technology based consultancy for a number of years
The successful candidate is likely to have an engineering, computer science, mathematics or similar degree and to possess relevant professional qualifications.
The closing date for this role is 15/06/2018.
Ofcom offers competitive salaries plus pensions and flexible benefits package.
Ofcom is an equal opportunities employer. It wishes to reflect the diversity of contemporary UK society and is therefore actively seeking to recruit colleagues from all cultural and ethnic backgrounds as well as those who have a disability.
To apply for the role of Principal Technology Advisor, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Principal Technology Advisor, Network Technologies, Network Engineer, Network Architect, System Architect, Network Consultant, Systems Consultant.